How do I ???? New Mac user question

Reaction score
My wife and I are newbie mac users so be gentile. Here's my question. Due to my wife's line of work (photographer) she regularly back's-up client photo's on 2 separate external hard drives. Using our new iMac how do we transfers files back and forth from external to external drives?

On a PC it was a simple matter of plugging both drives in and simply moving folders from one to the other. I've learned it doesn't work like that on a mac.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It's done the same way on a Mac. Just plug in both drives and drag and drop. The drives need to be formatted properly though. If it's formatted for write-only on Windows, it won't work. Try dragging a file and see what happens.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Chances are they are formated NTFS. Macs can read that kind of format but can't write to that format natively.

You need to download third party software to allow the Mac to write to the NTFS partitioned drives.

This is what I'm using. Linky.

OP
B
Reaction score
Chances are they are formated NTFS. Macs can read that kind of format but can't write to that format natively.

You need to download third party software to allow the Mac to write to the NTFS partitioned drives.

This is what I'm using. Linky.

AWESOME! That did the trick! Many thanks to you guys!

C

chas_m

Please note that NTFS writing is NOT officially supported by Apple. Thus, since this is mission-critical stuff you're doing, I would strongly advise that you eventually format those drives to the Mac's native formatting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GiB RAM, 80 GiB hard drive, Intel GMA 950, SuperDrive
My wife and I are newbie mac users so be gentile.

What does Judaism have to do with anything?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. :3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.