Storage of Movies and other media

Reaction score
I have had my Macbook pro for a few months now but there are still so many things to understand!

My current question is about storing media on the hard drive. If I put movies in the movies folder then they seem to also appear in a moview folder under itunes media in the Music folder. I know this is probably just a cross reference but I did try renaming one and that didn't change the name in the other folder.

The reason I ask is that my HDD is filling up more rapidly than it should do. So I have started moving movies to an externa; drive but looking at the info on my Movies folder it still states that there is over 50 gb there when I can see that there is nothing! Anyone know what is going on here?

I have to say the way the Mac handles media generally is good but confusing if you want any control over the folder structure yourself!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.