Completed

T

timboellis

Well there we go thats me done a compete switch from 2k to Tiger.

But there is one little thing that is bugging me is accessability to my apps, i know i can do into the HDD.

I have tried rocket launcher which is nearly there where it can list all the programs you want ina drop down window like the windows start button but it jsut gives you it in a list.

Is there a program that does the same thing but i can create folders ie.

Apps
Games
Documents

then put the stuff i need in there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I'm not sure if I really understand your problem here...

To access your apps faster, through a Windows-like drop menu, simply drag your application folder into the right part of your dock, next to the Trash.
When click-holding (or right-clicking) on the applications folder in the dock, you'll get a list of what's inside the folder. This works actually for every folder, and doesn't require any additional software.

The applications folder is a system folder (just like the "Program files" folder in Windows), which you should just leave as it is. If you create subfolders in there by yourself, the automatic Software Update won't find the apps anymore, and not tell you when an update is available.

In your home folder (which is similar to the user folder in "Documents and Settings" on Win2k/XP), you have different folders called Documents, Music, Video, etc. They are usually used as defaults to save your stuff. But you can still create additional folders and subfolders there, if you want to sort stuff differently.
To keep things organised, you should store everything in that home folder (this is also true for Windows). In case of trouble, it's always a lot easier to simply backup a user's home folder and have everything in it, than to search around for stuff scattered around on the HD.

OP
T

timboellis

yes you are half right in what you i am aking
The thing is say i have dreamweaver,ms word etc.
I would liek to be able to have a start button or like where i can go to APPS/Webdesign/Dreamweaver or APPS/OFFICE/Word/Word or even DOCS/MYSTUFF/BACKUPSTUFF/MY PICS
With me now

OP
U

UncSki1218

well than just make new folders inside the apps folder that already exists. then add the apps list to the dock. it may not expand but it will be more organized.

OP
L

lil

What about something like this, which anyone can do with no extra software:

(see attachment)

It's a standard folder, which I dropped onto the dock for easy access.

I then chose column view (command + 3) for the new folder.

Then added a couple of drawers for categories e.g.: graphics, word processing etc.

Then go to your apps, create an alias (ctrl + click) on the programs you wish to shortcut to. Drag the alias' to the respective folder you created above for your software categories and hey presto.

PS: I clicked the oblong button on the top right of the window to hide the sidebar and toolbar.

Or if you get really clever, what about you create smart folders, then for all your graphics progs, click command + i (get info) and add 'Graphics' to the spotlight info.

Then for the smart folder, set up search for applications (type) and keyword of Graphics.

Bingo! Spotlight will show you the applications with the keyword graphics associated with them.

Save the smart folder where you want, you can optionally have it added to the sidebar and you can drop it on the dock too.

That way the folder will learn all new graphics related programs (or whatever you specify) when you add the keyword graphics to the program!

Maybe this would be a good idea :flower: (See attached pics! - Idea1.png is the non-smart folder based idea)

Vicky :flower:

(EDIT: First idea is the image in the bottom left, the other 3 pics are the smart folder idea!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Why not just use Spotlight or Quicksilver to get directly to what you need? Seems a much more elegant solution than trying to recreate the "Windows Way" on OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Old habits die hard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I personally use dragthing which I believe is a nice polished way of doing what you want. http://www.dragthing.com/ I use the tabs option, so that on the right side of my screen there are a bunch of tabs

Misc, t68i, iPod, School, Web, Home, Media, Utilities, Games, Design, Business

And most all my software fits in at least one or more of those categories :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook 12", ipod photo 20gig
i use tigerlaunch.. it serves its purpose i guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.