• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

That hide-the-Newsstand trick? It works

Reaction score
That hide-the-Newsstand trick? It works

screen-shot-2011-10-13-at-6.00.20-pm.jpeg
Yes, it works.

You can hide Newsstand and it works exactly like those hundreds of posts and tips and videos say it does. We don't know exactly who figured this out -- coverage of the trick is pretty widespread at this point and there aren't exact credits -- but kudos to who did. It wasn't us. (Update: Appears to be from here, and originally discovered by @AnataTenshi Well done.)

Basically, there's a tiny bug in iOS 5 that allows you to stick Newsstand into a folder if you catch it just as you're making another folder. It's a little tricky and takes about 5-10 tries on average to get it right.

Line up three apps: app 1, Newsstand, app 2. Drag app 1 onto app 2 to create a new folder and then as soon as iOS is getting ready to folder 'em, drag Newsstand into the same group. About 80% of the time, this fails. You get a folder with both apps and Newsstand left out in the cold. When you do, just drag both items back out and start again.

But about 20% of the time, Newsstand goes into the folder, and it is for all purposes hidden.

So yay.

Be aware that the Newsstand item will not be seen in the group icon (see the picture on this post) so if you ever intend to use it, you may have to hunt around in folders to find it.

And one more thing: The other tip? About spoofing the lock screen by going through the Camera roll? Doesn't work.

Thanks to everyone who tipped us about this

Update: Some commenters are warning that you should not attempt to run Newsstand from a folder.

That hide-the-Newsstand trick? It works originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Thu, 13 Oct 2011 22:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks to whoever. A little tricky (took me 3 tries) but it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
1st try! Good tip..;)

Reaction score
Good trick, but theres a problem with this trick. You cant open newsstand once you accomplish this trick and get newsstand in to a folder.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good trick, but theres a problem with this trick. You cant open newsstand once you accomplish this trick and get newsstand in to a folder.

And the problem is . . . ???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This seems like a lot of work for nothing. Put the silly thing on the last page and forget about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I actually wish newsstand could be integrated with iBooks as an alternate shelf like pdfs

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
This seems like a lot of work for nothing. Put the silly thing on the last page and forget about it.

My last page is full...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB, 320 GB, OSX 10.7.3; TC - 500 GB; iPhone 4S; iPod Nano
just curious, why do you want to hide newsstand? I don't have an iphone (yet)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My last page is full...

Um, so...make another last page? If you have that much crap on your idevice that you can't make any new pages, you have some serious issues.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Um, so...make another last page? If you have that much crap on your idevice that you can't make any new pages, you have some serious issues.

It isn't that big of a deal, but I like keeping my pages down to 2 total. Not the end of the world if I can't, just a preference.
To that end I either delete unused APPs or put them in folders. Since i can't delete Newstand and couldn't (before this tip) move it to a folder, it annoyed me that it took up screen real estate without providing any value to me.

A small thing, but still pleased to be able to dump it out of sight.

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

That's a bit rude. But before I had a chance to respond to this, Razormac said it perfectly as his situation is exactly the same as mine.

It isn't that big of a deal, but I like keeping my pages down to 2 total. Not the end of the world if I can't, just a preference.
To that end I either delete unused APPs or put them in folders. Since i can't delete Newstand and couldn't (before this tip) move it to a folder, it annoyed me that it took up screen real estate without providing any value to me.

Thanks for answering this guy more politely that I would have :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a bit rude. But before I had a chance to respond to this, Razormac said it perfectly as his situation is exactly the same as mine.

Perhaps. Either way, it's still not as big of a deal as people seem to be making it out to be. To each their own though.

Thanks for answering this guy more politely that I would have :)

To bad you didn't have a chance to respond first. "This guy" loves a brisk discussion from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
just curious, why do you want to hide newsstand? I don't have an iphone (yet)

Agree, why is this icon/app so bad?

Tom

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree, why is this icon/app so bad?

Tom

It's not that its so bad, but:

1) If you tend to buy/download way too many APPs (me)
and
2) You are constantly trying to keep some sense of organization on your screens so you can find stuff (me also)

Then it gets a little annoying. I have a folder set aside for news, weather and magazines, an ideal resting spot for Newstand. It should be up to me whether or not I put it there.

Honestly, I don't like the entire idea of non-deleteable APPs (with the exception of Settings). It's my IOS device, I ought to be able to configure it the way I want. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Honestly, I don't like the entire idea of non-deleteable APPs (with the exception of Settings). It's my IOS device, I ought to be able to configure it the way I want. :)

I agree, I have a folder with apps I've never even used (in years), won't ever use, and would rather NOT have sucking up space. I'll never read a magazine on my iPhone screen. It'd drive me bonkers trying to. I liken it to non-removable bloat-ware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM

and
2) You are constantly trying to keep some sense of organization on your screens so you can find stuff (me also)

Then it gets a little annoying. I have a folder set aside for news, weather and magazines, an ideal resting spot for Newstand. It should be up to me whether or not I put it there.

Thanks for the info, as a BB owner about to make the switch I wasn't able to follow the original logic.

Tom

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info, as a BB owner about to make the switch I wasn't able to follow the original logic.

Tom

You are welcome.

Come on in, the water's fine BTW! ;)
Really love my iPhone, absolutely the best phone I have ever had, and I'm still running the 3Gs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

and

There I agree with you. The fact that I will NEVER actually buy anything via this App could be a 3rd.

Maybe you need to download/purchase less apps or be more selective about what you do grab.

I don't know for sure, but I bet if you JB your device (once everything is updated for iOS 5) you'd be able to find a way to do so. The bottom line is it's not your iOS, you just purchased the rights to use it when you purchased the device, the two go hand in hand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.