Running Linux

J

jon_p

Would there be any way for me to boot Linux from my external hardrive and run it on my computer (iMac G5)?

Looking for any possible answers to a question that popped in my head while my friend booted up Linux from a CD on his PC.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
just any firewire hard drives which macs support to boot up from will work.
live cds will also work.

what are you planning to install?

OP
J

jon_p

I would just like to run some games off the external hard drive. I would do it with Virtual PC but something tells me that it might not be as good running OSX, Windows, and games off the same system at the same time.

And I just want to get started with Linux to see if I like it

I am just not sure about how to get started.

How can I boot off an external hardrive with OSX is basically my main question, and what problems might I see if I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac bondie blue 233mhz 320mb ram 2 meg vram 4gig HD and a Beige G3 A/V 266 OCed to 300mhz 64mb ram
what you might want to check is linux.org and then go to the distrobution section then put in the drop down menus the correct info.

if you are a beginner in linux and would linke to start with an easy to learn distro then you should go to ubuntulinux.org they will ship you pressed cds for free.

pm me if you want ay more info i run linux on most of my machines and i am available to talk on aim or yahoo most of the time between 5pm-12am

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.