help a noob time

Reaction score
Well its time for me to start using my mac for what it was meant for O:) and for me this is web design and photo editing. But unfortunately I am a total beginner with both these things.

So on the web design front i am unsure were to start learning the basics and what software to use.

So whats your ideas?

C

chas_m

Depends on what you mean by "web design." If you're going to do this for a living, then I'd suggest Flux or Dreamweaver.

If you're doing this as a hobby or sideline then you might want to start with something simpler like Rapidweaver or Freeway.

To make a really custom web site, you need to learn at least some modicum of HTML, CSS and XML. There are way too many good resources for this online, get some recommendations from the pros on that.

The real money in website design isn't so much the front end as the back end. That's all I'm going to say about that for now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 Xeon 6gb DDR2 1TB OSX Server
Do some reading up on html and css. Html for understanding the basic structure of a webpage and css to make it appealing. That would be a good start then you can start looking into xml, jquery and ajax.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
try taking a website design and/or photoshop course at your local community college. A lot of CCs have adobe master suite installed on their computers in the classes and/or computer labs. They will mostly be PCs running adobe, but a lot of them also have macs as well. its a good way to get some skills, try out dreamweaver/photoshop before you buy, and to ensure it is even something you should attempt to pursue. You should check out http://www.kctcs.edu/ to see if there are any campuses near you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Well its time for me to start using my mac for what it was meant for O:) and for me this is web design and photo editing. But unfortunately I am a total beginner with both these things.

So on the web design front i am unsure were to start learning the basics and what software to use.

So whats your ideas?

Google how to build webpages and you will find lots of advice.

In terms of software dreamweaver is great but if cash is tight you can write the code in a simple text editor and then save as a HTML file and you will be able to view the webpage.

I learnt how to do it by looking at the source code of pages and seeing how the code affected the webpage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.