• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to create an animated photo mosaic in imovie

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping you can help me.

I have 1 image that I want to create a mosaic out of with 1,500 other images. I'm creating a movie in iMovie and at the end, against a white background, I want each of the 1,500 images popping up on screen for a sec and then flying into place to create the mosaic of 1 image. Is there any software out there that can do this? Even something that will do it, then export it to a movie and I can import that into iMovie?

I've tried mosaicx and that just creates a still image, but I need mine nearly like a slideshow of all 1,500 images before they realise that they all make up 1 image.

Any help would be really appreciated, as I'm stumped

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for that. I tried it, but it's only giving me a 1 sec video of the finished mosaic. I'm looking to get like a slideshow of each image popping up, then falling into place, to create the mosaic of the finished image. I have 892 images that I want to make up one image. Finding it very difficult to do.

Reaction score
Yes, although a cool effect it's hard to pull off. I'm afraid iMovie would be tough to finish this in. The 1 second limitation doesn't sound right. I suggest you contact the folks at AndreaMosaic and ask about that.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andreamosaic
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/andreamosaic

I would approach it in After Effects. If you have that, look into using a particle system like Trapcode Particular to pull it off. You might get a better answer at our user forum. Tons of AE experts hanging out there. If you don't have the application, we have a 30 day free trial at the Adobe website.

Adobe - CS5.5 Production Premium

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.