VMWare takes over DVD/CD drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, iMac, iPhone 4, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle
I have two iMacs (a 21.5" and a 27" both with 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo) that I had just done software updates on Friday night. I also added a Windows 7 partition for them to access our company's Advantage problem. Friday, before the updates, both users said that they experienced no problems reading countless DVDs and burning over 10 each. After the update, they cannot read a simple file DVD. A computer restart fixes this problem temporarily, but the next afternoon their iMacs don't read CDs and/or DVDs again.

I've narrowed the problem down to the VMWare. When VM is open, the cd automatically loads in the Windows partition instead of the Mac screen. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? CDs and DVDs are useless to my users in Windows. They have to load on the Mac.

Has anyone out there had this problem before and if so, how'd you fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You have to go into the preferences for that virtual machine and turn that off. I don't recall the exact setting, and I no longer have vmWare installed so I can't look it up.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air, iMac, iPhone 4, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle
You have to go into the preferences for that virtual machine and turn that off. I don't recall the exact setting, and I no longer have vmWare installed so I can't look it up.

I really wish it was that simple. I just checked it out and there is no preferences selection to toggle the CD/DVD on or off.

This is the most up to date VMWare software used to run Windows 7, by the way. I don't know if that will help anyone out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
%5BUNSET%5D.png

This is how I remember it working. If connected is checked, the virtual machine OWNs the resource.

Reaction score
I have two iMacs (a 21.5" and a 27" both with 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo) that I had just done software updates on Friday night. I also added a Windows 7 partition for them to access our company's Advantage problem. Friday, before the updates, both users said that they experienced no problems reading countless DVDs and burning over 10 each. After the update, they cannot read a simple file DVD. A computer restart fixes this problem temporarily, but the next afternoon their iMacs don't read CDs and/or DVDs again.

I've narrowed the problem down to the VMWare. When VM is open, the cd automatically loads in the Windows partition instead of the Mac screen. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? CDs and DVDs are useless to my users in Windows. They have to load on the Mac.

Has anyone out there had this problem before and if so, how'd you fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help I get.
I have had the same problem. Go to Virtual Machine in VMware menu, scan down to CD/DVD (IDE). Go to CD/DVD (IDE) settings, and click "Enable CD/DVD drive" to OFF on the virtual slider switch.

This has stopped my Windows virtual machine from opening the CD in preference to iTunes. Hope it works for you!

Regards,
Geoffuren

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.