Newbie Mac accident from a PC perspective! Grrrr!

Reaction score
MacBook
Model No:A1181
MB 13 White/2.16/2x1G/120/SD/AP/BT
Part No.ZOET00001A
Intel Core-Duo

DVD info...
Mac OS X Install disc 1
AHT version 3A133
Disc version 1.0
2Z691-6089-A

I hope the above info will help someone help me.
I treated this machine like a PC and now killed it!
Received this unit as a payment for some work done. The owner was concerned about his info so I extracted the HD and Low-Level Formatted it with my PC (either that or he wanted the HD returned altogether), can't really blame him for that stance these days.
The Install Disc mentioned above was the one residing inside the machine. He denied the other disc and has left, and I now have a Mac with a "insert disc 2" prompt.
I now(from reading these posts)realize these DVD's are machine/model specific. What are my options?
Can Apple sell the one missing disc to me?
I don't know if I have Tiger/Panther/...
Is this an "Ebay" thing?
Is there a total install to a blank HD version or is everything contingent upon a pre-existing OS?
Any help would be awesome, obviously VERY new to the world of Mac, I made a wrong turn trying to help a customers computer identity while trying to enter the Mac world on a low budget!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Since that machine would have NOT come with Lion.. it would have come with media on DVD. You need that media. Or you need to find a Snow Leopard install.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Mike. The "Snow Leopard". Is that a complete install to a blank hard drive? Will it boot up, I select the partition or format (I'm assuming it isn't Fat or NTFS) the hard drive and it begins the install? Is their a "full" version or "upgrade" ( I know the upgrade isn't an option from here on)? Is there different types of Snow Leopards 10.4.xx? 10.5xx, etc. I need to get for this type of Mac? Sorry for all of the questions, but I've really went into the deep water doing PC things and I don't want to make any more $$$$ screw-ups!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple uses HFS+ as a file system. What you'll need to do, is boot from that media (hold down the C key during boot), go to disk utility, select the disk and format it (Journaled), then do the install. The Snow Leopard media is MacOS 10.6... with your computer, any full retail (not grey) snow leopard disk will work.

OP
J
Reaction score
o.k..I'm at the Apple site and all I can find are Snow Leopard disks for 29.00 or Family pack disks for 49.00. Will the 29.00 Snow Leopard disk do a complete boot-up OS install on a formatted/blank HD? It can't be that inexpensive, can it?
I'm afraid to purchase 'till I hear from you Mac guys and gals!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
o.k..I'm at the Apple site and all I can find are Snow Leopard disks for 29.00 or Family pack disks for 49.00. Will the 29.00 Snow Leopard disk do a complete boot-up OS install on a formatted/blank HD? It can't be that inexpensive, can it?
I'm afraid to purchase 'till I hear from you Mac guys and gals!

$29 disk is the one you want

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$29 disk is the one you want

Yep, this is correct. The family pack covers up to 5 computers. The new OS, is $30 for every computer in your house that supports it. I'm going to quote Johnny Rotten "Ever feel like you've been cheated."

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You may also wish to consider The "Mac Box Set", which includes Snow Leopard, iLife and iWork. iLife, which comes bundled with new Macs comes with iMovie, iPhoto, Garageband and iWeb.

The $29 upgrade disc is intended to upgrade machines running 10.5, although technically it will work for doing a clean install on an Intel Mac. Apple's official stance on upgrading from 10.4 (which your machine likely shipped with) is to purchase the Mac Box Set.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.