Introducing...myself

M

MacFlipno

Hello MacPeeple,

I just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a newbie to everything; Mac-Forums, Macs, anything Apple really, other than the real thing (the fruit, that is).

I'm considering purchasing a Mac, specifically a g5. I'm in school right now for Multimedia and would like to buy a machine that would promote a career path in that direction. I'm currently a cabling tech hence the need for a career change. Nothing wrong with cabling, y'know, but it's not something I want to do the rest of my life.

The reason I'm considering a g5 is because I'd like to get heavy into 3D modeling. I'm in a 3d modeling class right now and I find it very fun and fascinating. My instructor seems to think that Macs would be the way to go for aspiring multimedia pros and I'm inclined to agree.

My question then, so that this wouldn't just be an intro, is:
"What would be a good starting point as far as hardware goes?"

"Would the dual 2Ghz G5 be a good investment?"

"Any suggestions?"

Thanks in advance and I hope to be a vocal part of this forum. :blind:

-MacFlipno

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3
First of all, if you are doing mainly 3d modelling, get a list of sotfwares which you are familiar. You may not have the same softwares for mac. Eg. 3d studio max is only for pc.
If you get the 2Ghz g5, i would recommend that you upgrade a better gfx card. You will have to fork out around $300-$400 extra for that. And you definitely have to upgrade to at least a gig of ram..
If you can afford it, why not... or build your own pc which might be much more cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.33GHz 12" iBook; iMac G3 333Mhz; Use Dual 2Ghz PM G5's
I would agree that a Dual 2GHz G5 with upgraded video would be good. I have run Maya on a dual 2 with the stock video card and only 512Mb RAM. Still pretty smooth.

OP
S

steveedge

Opinion,
Go for quality not what's cheap. In the end, Mac's are generally less costly to own. get the G5 ;)
Fact...
Whatever you get, you will need the fastest processor and the max. ram you can afford for rendering 3D. The above mention of the graphics card may be a good idea too.
Good luck,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 dual2.0ghz - 19" Acer AL1912 - MX700 - PioneerA09x2 - 4GB Ballistix - ATI9600XT
I bought a G5, and - well - it's my baby and earns me a nice wedge of cash on freelance jobs! Using Mac's is my life, a proper computer-geek...

... but hey, it pays the bills!!!

Defo' a G5 dual 2ghz. It's reasonably priced compared to the 2.3 & 2.7 duals. And you won't really notice a massive difference in speed compared to the two faster machines mentioned! :yinyang:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.