Updating windows 7 driver causes black screen.

Reaction score
Hi first time posting here... tried searching everywhere but couldnt find anything about it. I just got windows 7 on my mac with bootcamp and installed all the drivers and everything works great, however when i try to update my graphics driver it causes the screen to go black... and i have to boot in safe mode to roll back the driver... I want the update because a couple games im trying to play say that it is required. Anyone had this problem and know how to fix it or the cause of it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without telling us what Mac you have or which games you're trying to run, there's no way we can advise you.....

Your Mac: Year, Model ? version of OS X ?

Game(s): ?

OP
D
Reaction score
Haha can't believe I forgot to add that.... I have Mac mini with snow leopard (newest) and the graphics card is Geforce 320M The games were rage and battlefield 3 beta although I talked to my friend and he said that rage might be something else. My current driver version for the 320M is 190 ( or right around there).

Edit: macs from late 2010

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you updated your Boot Camp version to the latest? Do that from the Boot Camp control panel applet in Windows 7. Run the Apple software update to see if it gives anything to download.

Other than that, unless you downloaded the wrong driver from nVidia for the 320M, it should have worked. The screen blacking out means the wrong driver was installed.

OP
D
Reaction score
I have the updated bootcamp, and ive tried downloading every 320 driver with the same result, even letting it auto update :/ Thank you though

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I figured it out, I talked to Nvidia and didn't listen to my friends advice and that fixed it. My friend told me to never install windows updates because apparently he had huge problems with bootcamp and widows updates, but I tried that and tried a driver with a special INF file that nvidia said might work better than their normal ones because apparently their mobile drivers normally don't work ( so why have them on the site...). Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else, as this took me a whole month to fix.

Drivers | laptopvideo2go.com
^^^link for the third party INF file.

Reaction score
Well I figured it out, I talked to Nvidia and didn't listen to my friends advice and that fixed it. My friend told me to never install windows updates because apparently he had huge problems with bootcamp and widows updates, but I tried that and tried a driver with a special INF file that nvidia said might work better than their normal ones because apparently their mobile drivers normally don't work ( so why have them on the site...). Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else, as this took me a whole month to fix.

Drivers | laptopvideo2go.com
^^^link for the third party INF file.

Hello I am having the sme problem, as I start to install new 320M drivers for my Mid 2010 MacMini after %10-15 screen go black and I had to reboot in safemode and do a rollback.

Can you explain me where did you get that inf file ?

I am desperate thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.