• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Deleted imovie to reinstall and now not letting me! HELPPPPPP

Reaction score
O, what have i done now!! i have an ibook g4 with 10.4.11 version and was having issues with my imovie 6.0.3 and i read a thread on here about going on your disk utility and verify and repairing it - i did this and got this message

"Disk Utility stopped verifying “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit"

"Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Overlapped extent allocation (file 5055805)
Overlapped extent allocation (file Overlapped extent allocation (file 1/Roll 192/IMAG0015.AVI)
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 1098415 instead of 1098421)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair"

Then on the same thread it recommended deleting imovie and the link in library/preferences and then going on the mac website and reinstalling it and i tried that, BUT, when i go to load it, where it asks to choose the place to save it, it wont allow me to save it on the harddrive saying the 6.0.3 version is to high and to download the 6.0.2 version, which i did, then it says it wont work and needs the 6.0.1 version!!! so basically i have royally fooked up!!!

What have i done!!! when i look at my old imovie files it has a folder and in folder seperate folders! im sure i have lost my old CDs to reboot the system, so can anybody please help meeeeeeeeeee! Thanks sooo much in advance

C

chas_m

A copy of Disk Warrior ($100) will fix the directory problems right up for you, but your iMovie is basically gone for good until you can find your old copy of iMovie 6 or 6.03, neither of which have been sold or made available by Apple for years. The file you downloaded was a "upgrade" file for iMovie 6, not a copy of the entire program.

Sadly, your system is also too old to run the newer, better version of iMovie.

PS. I'd definitely get the Disk Warrior first -- or perhaps just erase and restore from your backup -- and worry about iMovie later. Your directory is corrupt, and that's a problem that is rapidly going to get worse if you don't fix it.

OP
V
Reaction score
cheers mate, if i found my disks, and rebooted the system will that A. sort out the issue and B. delete all my info i have on my computer - ie pictures, music ect ect

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A) If you boot from your original install disc - you can open up Disk Utility from the menu and run the "Repair Drive" which cannot be run while you are booted into the OS.

B) Doing the above does not delete anything

Reaction score
If you find the original install discs you can reinstall iMovie using Pacifist.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hello once again, i tried looking for the disks, but i have a feeling they have gone. So the questions is, can i buy a set of os x 10.4 disks (black ones) on ebay and run them and it will be same as if i had my original disks with regards to
1. keeping all my data - pics, music ect ect
2. keeping all my apps, without having to install them
3. have the option of using pacifist to reinstall imovie?

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reply.

Thank youuuu

Reaction score
You should be able to find a set on ebay. Unless you do a reinstall you should not lose any data. All you probably need to do is boot from them and run Disk Utility to repair the drive.
However like Chas said, you need to repair the drive before you do anything else.

OP
V
Reaction score
brilliant, will imovie be on the disks, so once iv repaired it, then its a matter of reinstalling imovie, or does that come on a separate disk? sorry for being a pain, not the brightest bunny when it comes to technology, as you can prob tell from the fact that i deleted it in the first place!!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
brilliant, will imovie be on the disks, so once iv repaired it, then its a matter of reinstalling imovie, or does that come on a separate disk? sorry for being a pain, not the brightest bunny when it comes to technology, as you can prob tell from the fact that i deleted it in the first place!!!

I think iMovie is on a separate iLife disk that should be included (but may not be).

OP
V
Reaction score
ok, cheers for all the advice lads, really appreciated it. managed to reboot the computer but unfortunately it would not let me repair, so luckily i saved all the data to dvds and external hd and rebooted, which has got rid of all the crap id collected over the years and runs much better.

Been reading the threads, and may upgrade to leopard, but from what iv read, it doesnt seem to give you any real advantages, (my main hope was to improve imovie, but is it any different on ilife 06 to say 09??)

thank you once again

OP
V
Reaction score
cheers mate, will this work without the ilife 06 package, as i havnt been able to get my hands on one yet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.