Does anyone have a list of ACTIVE iChat chat rooms?

Reaction score
Im rlly bored right now and no one uses AIM anymore for some reason.. i went to bored but they kept kicking me for no reason and singles is filled with pervs.. so haa, anyone have any? I think the mac-forums should start up a chat room called mac chat and we can all talk on there..

C

chas_m

iChat doesn't have ongoing, active chat rooms. The chatting is intended for private communications between a group of colleagues or friends/family.

A server (let's say a spare Mac at a company) can create a chat room and leave it open permanently, but the only way to find it is to know the name of the "room," and even then the "admin" (the person who set up the room) has control of who gets in. Mac-Forums COULD have one if they wanted; ehMac (a site for Canadian Mac users) has one, but of course most of the time it's empty.

IRC has always been, imo, kind of a PITA as a method of chat: I was quite active on it in Doctor Who chats, but as the Internet got easier and forums such as this one sprung up I didn't find IRC and its myriad DOS-like commands to be so attractive anymore.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that Chas_m. Hand"t thought of that even though I have been. Part of a few multiple party chats set up by ad hoc connections. When set up this way are there limits on the number of connections? May not still be true but I think the practical limits were 10 audio and 4 video simultaneously. Don"t know what it was for text.

C

chas_m

As far as I know there is no limit for chat connections, because they don't take up significant bandwidth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.