• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning a DVD, ripped with MTR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
How do I burn a DVD that was ripped with Mac The Ripper? Do I just drag the VIDEO_TS folder into the DVD and burn it?

Any help would be nice, thanks.

-Dylan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
what prog are you using to burn?

i use popcorn so i just select the video folder and it does the compression for me

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
I have no idea. I was just using Finder. What should I do?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
if it's a Factory DVD it's probably Dual Layer. MTR just rips it to the hard drive and takes out country codes and such. Unless you have a Dual Layer Burner with a 8.6GB DVD it will not fit. You can purchase Roxio Popcorn as Inflexion said or get DVD2OneX. It needs to be shrunk down to 4.7GB before it's burned unless like I said, you have a Dual Layer burner and blank.

Right now I use MTR and DVD2Onex. I am planning on the new Roxio Toast 7 which I am told does what Popcorn does plus a lot more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
Toast 7 Rocks! Compresses and burns to a single DVD!

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
Umm, I just ripped a movie that my friend had onto my computer with MTR and want to burn it onto a DVD with the burner in my iMac. Do I have to go buy stuff? Or can I at least watch it on my computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
No, when you rip with MTR it creates two folders (Audio_TS and Video_TS), you need a program like Handbrake to convert those folders to an AVI for Quicktime.

To burn it to DVD you could use DiskUtil, Toast, or any other burnin software that you have. Toast is the best, in my opinion, but costs some money.

Hope this helps.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can watch the Video_TS directory with the built in DVD player. I do it ALL THE TIME.

Reaction score
you need to make an image of it first if you will be using "disk utility"
disk utility will NOT make a DVD-ROM (UDF).

make the image then burn..

you can open up apple dvd player -->apple+O--> then hit play..

toast 7 will cost you money... but you can make the dvd from the VIDEO_TS folder. and it will let you choose if you want to keep the extra features or just do the main movie itself.

but just remember.. image first then disk utility.

OP
DCraver
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
hmm... okay. thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.