• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

This is not meant to dis Bill Gates

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My wife and I were talking about Steve Jobs and his passing and she wondered about the relative impact of Bill Gates, which lead to an extended discussion and web search.

Upfront disclaimer is I am not a Bill Gates fan, but my opinion of him has improved dramatically as he has moved into charitable work.
I know that my personal bias makes it hard to be objective, but for all his accomplishment I am struggling to come up with anything truly innovative or game changing that Microsoft (Bill Gates) has given us.

Again, I am seriously not trying to run him down, but I haven't been able to come up with anything (first thought was Encarta, but a quick web search dispelled that notion).
So, anyone have anything to suggest?
Not a particularly important issue, but it's beginning to bug me that I haven't thought of anything.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Competition, for one. Apple and OS X wouldn't be what it is without the success of Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Like it or not, but the Windows OS has been the most popular and accepted desktop OS on the market since 3.1. Yes, the new breed of OSX Macs have been catching up, but just in the building I work in, we have 3 Mac Pros and 1500 and change Windows XP machines. Windows put an OS on the desk of the general public as well.

You can thank marketing or the OEM contracts that made this happen, but that is just the case in this. Windows is out there more than OSX.

Game-changing? Maybe not technology-wise like the iPad or iPhone, but it was for company-wide OS's that were more than Terminals to a mainframe.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
It's also a little easier to assign tangible things to Steve Jobs - because Apple designs and builds hardware - whereas for years, Microsoft was software only.

You can't discount the impact of Windows and Office though - both qualify as "game changing".

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brad and Brian,
I had (of course) thought of Windows but wasn't willing to give either Microsoft or Apple credit for it since both borrowed it from Xerox.

Of course I have to credit MS for making the GUI the standard.

EDIT: I would have to dispute you on Office, since that was definitely not innovative, just an example of superior marketing (and perhaps better integration) in squeezing Corell/Wordperfect out of the market.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But Office is bigger than just Word - and yes, of course in areas of technology everyone eventually borrows from everyone else, which contributes to a continually pushed envelope but I think MS gets credit for creating a widely adopted, user accessible GUI based OS. Before Windows we were doing everything from a command line.

If the criteria is "sole credit" it becomes much more complicated - but the same analysis could be pointed at Steve and Apple. We're too far along as a society for "sole credit" in the areas of technology, for the most part. Just about everything invented today is based on or borrows ideas from something that came previously.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All right I will credit Mr Gates with Windows and beyond that the concept of a tightly integrated Graphically based system (more of an implementation than innovation, but making an idea work has to count for something).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Comparing/contrasting Bill Gates and Steve Jobs (see below)...draw your own conclusions:

6a00d8341c630a53ef015435ef6de6970c-600wi

6a00d8341c630a53ef014e8c12c72b970d-600wi

c1a2f9354d7da6240d22a956fdad88bc

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the criteria is "sole credit" it becomes much more complicated - but the same analysis could be pointed at Steve and Apple. We're too far along as a society for "sole credit" in the areas of technology, for the most part. Just about everything invented today is based on or borrows ideas from something that came previously.

Absolutely true; there is the old saw about standing on the shoulders of giants. Technology constantly evolves and extends concepts and ideas that though previously imagined were not able to be implemented.
I guess what I am looking for is "forks in the road" creative input that changes the direction of the flow in technological progress rather than simply extending it.

EDIT: Nick, this sort of outpouring is exactly what sparked my question (and discussion with my wife). Wondering will Steve's peers receive anything like this at their passing, and why/ why not?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: Nick, this sort of outpouring is exactly what sparked my question (and discussion with my wife). Wondering will Steve's peers receive anything like this at their passing, and why/ why not?

I would say definitely not. Apple is tangible - it found a place in everyone's pockets - and there is an emotional connection to Apple products. Microsoft has none of that. Plus - Steve passed at the height of Apple's success - whereas Microsoft has faded from the limelight significantly. Had Bill passed at the peak of Microsoft's success - it might be different - but there's never been the emotional attachment to Microsoft as there is to Apple products. That's largely because you can touch and feel them, along with aesthetic design, quality, etc. Apple is also a comeback story of epic proportions.

No - I don't think it will be the same - although it will still be CNN cover material.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Like Brian mentioned...when Bill Gates passes on...it will be big news...but it won't be emotional like it is with Steve Jobs. And also like Brian mentioned...Steve Jobs pretty much passed at the height of his success.

Whenever this happens with well known folks...the public outcry of emotion & sadness is always 100x.

One other thing to think about. Bill Gates has pretty much (professionally) disconnected himself from Microsoft. In 25-30 years (2035-2040) when Bill Gates passes. Many people may say..."Bill Gates...who is Bill Gates?"

Which is just fine if I was him. Bill decided to retire with his BILLIONS...and enjoy it while he's "young".

The public has a very short memory.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Gates pretty much disconnected himself immediately after the Justice Departments anti-trust / breakup case. I really can't say I blame him much on that one. I do have to say that his post-MS involvement in charitable work has been extremely positive, and also increased my opinion immeasurably.

Now, my guess is THAT work will be how Gates wishes to be remembered. Rightly so in my opinion too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Remove everything having to do with Bill Gates and Microsoft...and watch the world grind to a complete stop. True.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hold on a sec! Why are you guys giving credit to M$FT for creating the GUI? They didn't do anything, just used aspect from what others had developed since the majority of GUI ideas were not patentable!
If you're going to give credit to a companies use of GUI in "personal computer," it's going to be Apple, followed by Xerox for creating it to begin with! The majority of GUI ideas were licensed to MSFT from Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They've simply never seen an original Macintosh in action is my guess ;) Windows was eerily similar the first time I touched it :D

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They've simply never seen an original Macintosh in action is my guess ;) Windows was eerily similar the first time I touched it :D

Actually I remember very well the original Macintosh, which is why I was willing to give MS credit for establishing the GUI as industry standard but not for introducing it to the market place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Hond on a sec! Why are you guys giving credit to M$FT for creating the GUI? They didn't do anything, just used aspect from what others had developed since the majority of GUI ideas were not patentable!
If you're going to give credit to a companies use of GUI in "personal computer," it's going to be Apple, followed by Xerox for creating it to begin with! The majority of GUI ideas were licensed to MSFT from Apple!

No, I dont think that is what they (especially me) was saying. Microsoft made it available to the masses quicker. not that they came up with it, but they got it on nearly every desktop in every business in the world, fast. It changed how people worked and communicated.

It isnt a "what's better or who thought of it" it is a who implemented it the fastest.

This topic was not meant to be an argument, but to see and discuss the but to discuss major changes in the industry and business and even lifestyle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It isnt a "what's better or who thought of it" it is a who implemented it the fastest.

This isn't even accurate either. MS didn't implement it for years after Apple did. Windows 1 shipped in 1985 as I recall. What MS did do, was market their product more successfully / widely to industry.

Vision, Top View, GEM.. man.. all the old GUI's ;)

btw, I'm not knocking MS. Without MS it's very likely that PERSONAL computers would have taken longer to gain traction in homes.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hond on a sec! Why are you guys giving credit to M$FT for creating the GUI? They didn't do anything, just used aspect from what others had developed since the majority of GUI ideas were not patentable!

I don't recall anyone giving MS credit for the invention in this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.