Reaction score
Evening all

I am a new convert to Macs and will have a new iMac on thursday.
I hear good things about them but have also heard some bad but if it works 50% more than my last few windows computors I'll be happy.

As a whole I have been replacing laptops every 1 due to poor build and also re-installing due to poor software.

M

MacInWin

Welcome! I think you'll find that your iMac won't have those kinds of problems. My iMac, from mid-2008, has never manifested any problem in any way.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Welcome to Mac Forums.

What bad things have you heard? Just curious. No electronic device will ever be perfect.

Reaction score
I have my first Mac a few weeks and will say what many before have said "should have done it years ago"This forum has made the change over very painless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Welcome!

You do know that the screen name you've chosen will be obsolete before you know it, right? ;)

OP
MAC Lion
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac Forums.

What bad things have you heard? Just curious. No electronic device will ever be perfect.
Issues with HD's and other typical PC problems and no nothing we buy is ever going to be perfect. I have driven many cars through work and even identical spec and build cars are very different.

I have my first Mac a few weeks and will say what many before have said "should have done it years ago"This forum has made the change over very painless
Yes I have been looking for some time the only thing that held me back before was online gaming on PCs.

Welcome!

You do know that the screen name you've chosen will be obsolete before you know it, right? ;)
I like to think of it as retro, although the Lion part will never fade :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Issues with HD's and other typical PC problems and no nothing we buy is ever going to be perfect. I have driven many cars through work and even identical spec and build cars are very different.

Macs use normal Hard Drives, Western Digital, Seagate, ETC. There are no MAC hard drives, or Apple hard drives. If the drive fails, that is the manufactures issue and nothing to at all with Apple.

M

MacInWin

I find the build quality on Apple products far exceeds what you find in the commodity market of Windows systems. That is, to me, what you pay for with Apple.

OS wise, I personally like OSX and the snappiness of response. Windows was always so slow to boot, and you couldn't leave it running like you can OSX. Windows didn't wake up as politely as OSX does, so I ended up shutting down instead of putting my laptop to sleep. With my MBP, I almost never shut it down, just let it sleep. Not having to have AV software running all the time is also a performance factor. Sooner or later, I suspect, that one advantage will be challenged. But for now, I'm loving it.

I admit I haven't tried Win7, so maybe it got better. I'm all OSX / iOS now and happy about it.

OP
MAC Lion
Reaction score
So today I got my iMac. first of I was pleased to see some information of the basics of using the OS included, which is more than what microsoft give you.

The next thing was the build quality which is superb and how easy it was to get started. I am now finding my way around and have got myself confused but managed to sort it out and find out what I had done.

It looks stunning turned off as well as when it's on and I already feel like this is something that can grow with my Mac knowledge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.