NSInteger vs. NSNumber

Reaction score
Tell me please in what cases it would be better to use NSInteger type and in what cases NSNumber*?

OP
S
Reaction score
int vs. NSNumber

What is the difference benween int and NSNumber? Is NSNumber an analog of th object type in C#?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
NSInteger is just a typedef of a long int. NSNumber is an objective c class for storing and accessing any C scalar type (including ints, floats, char, etc.). Here's the definition of an NSNumber from Apples docs:

NSNumber is a subclass of NSValue that offers a value as any C scalar (numeric) type. It defines a set of methods specifically for setting and accessing the value as a signed or unsigned char, short int, int, long int, long long int, float, or double or as a BOOL. (Note that number objects do not necessarily preserve the type they are created with.) It also defines a compare: method to determine the ordering of two NSNumber objects.

Which is better to use what? If you need a counter, or if you need to reference a tag, or you need to do basic math an NSInteger is usually easier to deal with. If you need to store the value in one of the objective c collections or utilize the value with something that needs or is looking for an NSNumber, or use serialization or as a dictionary key, use an NSNumber (Obj-C collections like NSArray, NSDictionary, NSSet, etc. can only store objects, it can't store scalar data types). If you need to change the value easily (add/subtract/multiply/divide/etc.) use a scalar type. NSNumbers are immutable and can't be changed when set.

Personally I just use what I need for when I feel its necessary. Sometimes it's an int/NSInteger/float/double/etc. and sometimes it's a NSNumber. I use scalar types much more often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Int is a scalar data type that is part of C. NSNumber is an objective C class that is a subclass of NSValue. NSValue is designed to store non-objective-c classes (ie: pointers, char, int, NSRange (which is a struct), CGSize (struct), CGRect (struct), etc. - see Apple docs for all of the types of data an NSValue object can store).

NSNumber is a specific subclass of NSValue - it's sole purpose is to deal with numeric scalar C data types (ie: int, float, double, etc.).

I can't compare it to C# as I don't know C#.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've merged your two threads. Please don't double post. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.