Mac Office vs Windows 7+ PC Office

Reaction score
Ok. First post.....

So I've had my Macbook Pro about 45 days now. For the most part so far so good. Certainly not the be all end all machine Apple fan boys claim but I'm happy enough.

I also own an HP Envy. With that Envy I have through school a discounted version of Microsoft Office 2010. (the highest end version). However the Envy I may sell, not sure.

I downloaded Pages on my Mac and also did the free 30 day trial Office for Mac 2011. Though both are OK, neither are has good as Office 2010 for Windows.

So here's my question(s).

Should I buy Office for Mac 2011 or should I buy through school Windows7 and install it on my Mac and then use Windows7 to install Office 2010 for pc on my Mac?

They also are advertising parallels for Mac for $39 on my schools site. However the one Apple salesman advised running both platforms at the same time isn't advised.

Any advice would help.
Thanks guys

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What about the Mac version do you not like? It doesn't seem worth installing Windows just to use Office 2010. Perhaps we can help you find what you need in the Mac version.

This isn't a judgment - I'm more confused than anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
The one big feature for me that's missing from 2011 is Outlooks inability to sync with google cal. Totally useless without this feature, for alot of others though it probably wont matter.

Other than that 2011 aint too shabby.

OP
D
Reaction score
It's missing Access for one. I needed it for one class, not sure if I ever will again as it is a weird program. Learned it years ago at work. Plus the tabs aren't as nice. Office for Mac is OK, but its like only getting 75% of the windows version. So I guess I'm like thinking since I already have the windows version should I buy windows instead and have that also?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, Access only comes with the more expensive versions of Office for Windows. I have Office 2010 and it's not included in my copy. I have had no need for a programmable data base app since my days with DBase. (Long ago.)

There are some differences between Office 2010 and Office 2011 and since I have both, I have to give the edge to Office 2010. Anyway, if you have an enhanced copy of Office 2010 and don't mind installing Windows either with Boot Camp or with VM software, go ahead and do it.

Reaction score
Office 2010

I've used both have real problems switching to Office on the Mac. Stick with Office 2010 for Windows and bootcamp.

OP
D
Reaction score
I wouldn't say I have problems using it, it just isn't "as" good.

How reliable is windows7 thru bootcamp? How much of a hassle is it to download onto a Mac or is it easier to buy the cd? Do I run bootcamp first & install some type of drivers?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your choice. If you download Windows 7 from the MS on line store, you'll need a PC to run the executable to get an ISO which must be burned to a DVD. They also send you a backup disk in the mail.

It's best to buy an OEM system builders full version from Amazon. Currently $91.98 for the 64 bit version. LINK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have Office 2010 on my Win7 Bootcamp and Office 2011 for Mac in OSX. Honestly, the full version of 2011 for Mac was a better buy overall than 2010 on Win7. I use Outlook on my Mac through an Exchange server, so I dont worry about connecting and syncing through Gmail.

You may be able to connect to Gmail as an Exchange Server, like on the iPad.

I dont have my MBP in front of me, so I cant test.

Reaction score
I use the mac version of office, but there are a lot of other programs or bits of hardware that seem to come only in Windows versions, so you may want to be able to run Windows anyway.

Reaction score
The one big feature for me that's missing from 2011 is Outlooks inability to sync with google cal. Totally useless without this feature, for alot of others though it probably wont matter.
Outlook 2010 can't natively do this either. Google happily sells the ability to do it with business Google Apps accounts.

Outlook 2011 can't even do Hotmail sync, which they do have a free connector to do with 2010.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Outlook 2011 can't even do Hotmail sync, which they do have a free connector to do with 2010.

You can do it through mBoxMail for Mac:

Fluent Factory: mBox Mail for Mac

I use it on mine and it's worked very well. Essentially a 3rd party version of the Outlook Connector. It's been updated for Lion and has been very usefull. Yes, there is a registration fee, but since I use Hotmail as my primary account, it was worth it.

-MikeM

OP
D
Reaction score
It's best to buy an OEM system builders full version from Amazon. Currently $91.98 for the 64 bit version. LINK

I'm no computer geek, what would that have that a download thru my school ($58) would not? I do have a PC also. So can I download the Windows7 to my HP, then burn the files to a CD to install on my MBP?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the download copy from your school is the full version, then it's certainly best to do that instead of buying from Amazon. And yes, you can download Win 7 to your PC, burn it to a DVD and use to install on your MBP. But again, you must use the full install version not an upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Outlook 2010 can't natively do this either. Google happily sells the ability to do it with business Google Apps accounts.

Actually there is a free sync tool, to sync 2010 to google, you don't pay for this feature

Reaction score
Actually there is a free sync tool, to sync 2010 to google, you don't pay for this feature
Google certainly doesn't provide it. They only provide a tool for paid Google Apps accounts. Free G.Apps accounts do not qualify.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Google certainly doesn't provide it. They only provide a tool for paid Google Apps accounts. Free G.Apps accounts do not qualify.

Google calendar sync is provided by google for free. Maybe were on crossed wires here, I am on about syncing google calendar to outlook, the above free sync tool provided by google does exactly this, I've been using this for the last 18 months

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4
Ok. First post.....

So I've had my Macbook Pro about 45 days now. For the most part so far so good. Certainly not the be all end all machine Apple fan boys claim but I'm happy enough.

I also own an HP Envy. With that Envy I have through school a discounted version of Microsoft Office 2010. (the highest end version). However the Envy I may sell, not sure.

I downloaded Pages on my Mac and also did the free 30 day trial Office for Mac 2011. Though both are OK, neither are has good as Office 2010 for Windows.

So here's my question(s).

Should I buy Office for Mac 2011 or should I buy through school Windows7 and install it on my Mac and then use Windows7 to install Office 2010 for pc on my Mac?

They also are advertising parallels for Mac for $39 on my schools site. However the one Apple salesman advised running both platforms at the same time isn't advised.

Any advice would help.
Thanks guys

I just went through this whole process! I have always owned a Windows computer, but starting college I purchased my first MBP. I needed Word 2010 and Photoshop CS5 for my college courses that I had already purchased in Windows. Being a newbie I purchased parallels for my mbp. I do NOT recommend parallels, it is slow, and a waste of money. I ended up purchasing Office 2011 for MBP, but since it is different than the windows version I couldn't use it for my course. As my end result I ended up using bootcamp to install Windows 7 and use my Office 2010 off there. It definitely would have saved a lot of heartache if I were to have done that to begin with! Hope that helps!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up purchasing Office 2011 for MBP, but since it is different than the windows version I couldn't use it for my course.

I'm curious. I have both versions and other than the ribbon and perhaps the more mature Outlook application in 2010, I find very little if any at all, differences between the two. What did you find so different that you couldn't use it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.