About Time Machine: How does it handle file iterations from separate sources?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP 15" 2.2GHz quad i7 4GB 1333MHz 500GB HD 7200RPM AMD Radeon 6750M w/ 1GB
Hi folks,

I'd like to use Time Machine, but need to know in advance how it will handle iterations of files that originate from different computers and are backed up to the same location as the Time Machine backup destination.

...wordy, I know, but here's what's happening:

My wife and I work on different computers (she on a PC and me on a Mac) but we edit the same Word file (tho not simultaneously). That file is stored on an external network drive. When she needs it, she copies it from the network to her local machine, saves her changes, and posts the changed file to the network. I do the same. This process (plus us communicating with each other to know when the other has the file locally) ensures we always edit and archive the latest version of the file.

However, I want to set up Time Machine on my Mac. If I include this file in the Time Machine backup, what will happen if it tries to back up my local file while there's a newer version of that file on the network? I assume it'll overwrite the network version. Does anyone know? Does it consider a file's date/time stamps when backing up files?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, I want to set up Time Machine on my Mac. If I include this file in the Time Machine backup, what will happen if it tries to back up my local file while there's a newer version of that file on the network? I assume it'll overwrite the network version. Does anyone know? Does it consider a file's date/time stamps when backing up files?

By default Time Machine does not backup from network drives. There is a work around to enable that function, however.

As for overwriting, Time Machine does not write to anything unless you're doing a restore. It will continue to back up from your internal hard drive regardless of what's on the network drive. That means it will back up the latest version you have of the Word file on your drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.