What to do with my old PowerBook G4

Reaction score
I have an old PowerBook G4. I bought it in the fall of 2005 when I was starting college. It has multiple problems at the moment:
- battery seems to be dead. It is always at 0% and I have to always keep the power cord plugged in or my computer dies immediately.
- power cord is very finicky. I usually don't move my laptop out of its position b/c a lot of the times, the power cord doesn't get "recognized"
- lagging problem after some use during the day
- sometimes, when it dies and I reboot it, my computer thinks it is in the 1960's and I have to reset the clock. Not sure what problem this points to.

But otherwise (ha ha) it's working fine! If any of these details matter: MacOSX 10.4.11, 1.67 GHz Power PC G4 processor; memory 1GB DDR SDRAM)

I don't want to trash it because it's not *dead*. It is a functional machine. In fact, I am using it right now. It's just that for me, it gets a bit frustrating to use if I need to be on it all day because of the lagging problems and seeming immobility. But I feel iffy about selling it given the abovementioned problems. Any ideas? What do people usually do?

(PS I guess I am wondering if this is something that computer-savvy people might actually buy at a small cost to fix up themselves and use?)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you don't need it & you don't want to keep it...sell it. If you make the buyer aware of the problems with it...then no surprises.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I agree with pigoo3. A lot of people are still using their powerbook g4's and may need parts or entire systems to keep their own machines running. If people are aware of the issues when they purchase the system they know if it can be of a benefit to them and can make an informed decision to purchase.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely look into venues to sell it then. How much do you suggest for something like this? I have no idea what price range is reasonable...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Love my Mac-Wish Apple did
The beauty lies in those flaws you mention - because those are the universal flaws and you know what they are up front. The cord can be replaced for $30 now, instead of apple's $90 but will eventually loosen because laptop can get so very hot. (I always have a room fan aimed right on my mac whenever I log on - solves that problem. Also they have been known [rarely] to cause fires, so I try to turn off at surge protector when I am gone.) If you scout around - your date and battery problems can be overcome also. I know because in the past, I have had to do so. I am typing on my truly beloved PowerPC G4. The real problem and the reason I am now going into mourning is, no more software updates! OS X 10.5.8 is the maximum for PC's! And app after app and site after site are now telling me they will no longer support old apple software - nothing less than 10.6. Apple won't fix Flash security risks either. I am brokenhearted and hoping somewhere some like-hearted computer whiz has a miracle answer to breathe new life into a perfectly wonderful mac who's too useful to retire! I saw someone recommended turning it into a wi-fi hotspot. I pray it doesn't come to that ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I would be interested in buying it. I have several old iBooks and a Powerbook G3 that I have been using for a few years. I don't use my pro with lion much because tiger is my favorite version of OS X. I would personally keep it. It may be worth more someday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.