Why won't iTunes 10 get track names for my AIFF files?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Got iTunes 10 on my new Macbook Air running 10.7

I have copies of my CDs in a folder on the desktop (copied from my iBook when my HD began to die). They are in album folders and are lossless AIFF copies of the CDs themselves. Some of the classical music album tracks are not individually labeled and I want to find the track titles without having to enter them all in manually. The information is exactly the same whether it's imported to iTunes from my copied folders or imported from the CD but when I try to get the track names I get the following error message:

iTunes cannot get CD track names for songs that were not imported using iTunes. To allow iTunes to look for CD track names for this song, import the song again using iTunes.

Why won't iTunes get the track names since the information is identical?

Does anyone know how I can get around this?

Thanks a lot to anyone who answers this for your time and trouble.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
because iTunes uses a system where it checks the CD track count and lengths to determine the CDs track names. it can only do this on importing. How does it know all your tracks are the same CD if they arent named?

TuneUp or Pollox can name your tracks for you. Both cost money.

or, you know, you could type them in.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply, robduckyworth.

I understand that iTunes can't know all the tracks are from the same CD but on the point of them not being named, they're also not named on the CD. They're simply listed as 'track 1', etc.

Whether I import all the AIFF files from a CD or copies of the same AIFF files from a folder on my desktop, they're identical, right? Given the very short period of time required by iTunes to do a CDDB check on an imported CD I would have thought that iTunes would at least compare them against the Gracenote database before saying it can't get the information if it couldn't.

If I made a compilation CD using unrelated AIFF files and imported the CD using iTunes it would try and find the track names, right? So, what I don't understand is why iTunes can't do a CDDB search for AIFF files placed in an iTunes playlist folder from the desktop? Why on earth is it necessary for them to be imported by iTunes from a CD?

Am I missing something?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.