Looking for some software

E

evoleno

HI

I am new to mac and want to know what is the best software i can get( hopefully free); for typing (like word) and looking at pictures (nothing special just like the picture veiwer on XP).

I have a PowerBook G3 with OS X 10.1

Thanx for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
well there is neoofficej
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php
for creating text documents, and it can save into word files.

for viewing pictures, mac already comes with a program like that, its calle preview, just double click a picture file.

OP
E

evoleno

iWonder said:
well there is neoofficej
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php
for creating text documents, and it can save into word files.

for viewing pictures, mac already comes with a program like that, its calle preview, just double click a picture file.

thanx

the reason i dont like the picture preview is the you can only see one pic at a time. meaning you cant scroll though them after opening them like in XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you could always select all the photos by Apple + A and opening them. then in the drawer would be all the files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you givin thought to TextEdit? Also, isnt AppleWorks with all macs? its a word processor too!

OP
E

evoleno

text edit looks like a pc Notepad.

AppleWorks, ill try that. Whre can i get it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it should be in your applications folder in a folder named... er.. appleworks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
evoleno said:
HI

I am new to mac and want to know what is the best software i can get( hopefully free); for typing (like word) and looking at pictures (nothing special just like the picture veiwer on XP).

I have a PowerBook G3 with OS X 10.1

Thanx for your help!
I'd strongly suggest that you upgrade to Tiger if possible (If your PowerBook has FireWire) because the built in apps (TextEdit and Preview) are much more refined. TextEdit is actually becoming a word processor, and not a text editor, and Preview in Tiger can do slideshows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tiger is fun, im just trying to recommend programs he could use for his version.

OP
E

evoleno

I am downloading iText now

if i dont have firewire does that mean i cant get Tiger?

how high can i go? 10.3?

OP
L

lil

Generally speaking, with no Firewire, 10.3 (Panther) is the upper end. But there are ways around this!

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
why does tiger depend on firewire?
yea its recomeded but i only use FW for my iPod and i did that in Panther so whats the big deal with a FW port?

OP
L

lil

There isn't anything that really depends on having the firewire port in Tiger (some things that are obvious need firewire such as target disk mode, P2P firewire networking, ISight cam and iChatAV...) but the OS doesn't depend on firewire being there.

I think this is potentially Apple's way of cutting away 'dead wood' as they may put it, much like they did releasing the original G3 iMac and G3 Blue and White without a floppy drive in 98/99.

But in general there isn't an implicit dependency on firewire for 10.4.

The reverse of this situation is that in 2006, Windows Vista will be released and the first MS OS that cannot be set up via floppy drive (XP and Server 2003 were the last). Some six years after Apple dropped floppy drives altogether from their machines.

Vicky :flower:

OP
E

evoleno

lil said:
Generally speaking, with no Firewire, 10.3 (Panther) is the upper end. But there are ways around this!

Vicky

if you dont mind..

what are the ways around it?

OP
L

lil

You want XPostFacto my friend:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7594

It will install OS X not only only on pre-G3 machines (those being the 601 (erk!!), 603(e) and 604(e) PPCs, not the 68K series!!), but also those lacking USB and Firewire.

Panther was the first generally say I need USB - it doesn't.

Tiger wants Firewire but doesn't have to have it, and you will by default need a DVD drive to install (you can mail in your DVD discs for CD though).

Jauguar (10.2) and earlier would work on machines like the beige G3 and is supported by Apple in that config.

So you can install say on a Power Macintosh 7300 with no USB, no firewire, and a 604e 200MHz Tiger (not that I'd recommend that!), or you can install Panther on a 9500 with a G4-800MHz upgrade, 1GB of RAM, USB and Firewire PCI cards.

Likewise you can install Panther/Tiger on beige G3s etc.

I think you get the idea :flower: It's $25 and that's nothing for such an excellent app!

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.