Ram

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1
This is probably a really stupid question, but I have a problem. I bought my Macbook Pro about a year ago, and it currently has 4GB memory. I just bought an extra 4GB from Crucial.com (a third party site which supplies memory for computers at lower prices. It was originally recommended to me by a mac store worker) and I've discovered both my slots are filled with 2GB cards. Taking one out will be a simple matter, but won't that destroy half my files? Also, has anyone else tried running a 2GB with a 4GB? On apple.com, it says performance is better with two identical cards.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Removing the RAM doesn't do anything to your files. Your files are stored on your Hard drive.

You can use the 4GB RAM with the 2GB.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac OS X Lion 10.7.1
Right, thanks.

Reaction score
RAM does not affect file storage. RAM is temporary, "while the computer is on" working space. Permanent storage is the hard drive.

Performance would be better with two RAM sticks, but not substantially. My recommendation, if it is in your budget, is to purchase a second 4GB stick the same as the first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.