Adobe

Reaction score
When I was in Windows world, I downloaded a lot of the Adobe apps without really knowing what they did and now, with a fresh start and on such a gorgeous machine, I would like to avoid downloading stuff that I don't really need.For the ordinary basic computer operations, what are the most used Adobe free downloads used?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have not installed any Adobe software on my Macs except Flash.

A pdf reader is built in, so no need for that.

C

chas_m

Flash enables some kinds of web animations and video delivery. It is most commonly used for games, ads, videos, ads, web cartoons, ads and more ads.

I consider it useful to have for some websites that are very dependent on it, but it's equally important to block it as it is the number one source of security issues and instability on web browsers (don't take my word for it, ask Google and their Chrome team).

There's an extension or plug-in for most web browsers called ClickToFlash that disables Flash (though it can "whitelist" certain sites) and allows you to re-enable it on a case-by-case basis.

I personally prefer to use AdBlock (again I can whitelist some sites, like Mac sites, since I probably AM interested in their ads) along with a flash-video-to-HTML5 converter rather than ClickToFlash, but the latter is very good at what it does and with a little training lets the "right" Flash in and keeps the annoying Flash out. For me, however, the former combo does more-or-less this job with less input from me.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks chas_ m.It is interesting that you say that about flash and instability.I had it installed and it kept opening itself at the drop of a hat !! When I say "opening itself", what I mean is that the icon would appear on the desktop for no very obvious reason along with the folder.
I did work out that one way it could happen was when I opened applications in the Finder option and scrolled through the applications, that even moving the cursor near the words "flash player" was enough to kick it off even though I definitely hadn't clicked on it.But I know that this was not the only way it could happen but it is the one that I could pin down and it is strange that no other application would hop on to the desktop just the flash !!
I uninstalled all the Adobe stuff and thought I'd ask here before re-installing any of it.
If it wasn't too much trouble could someone walk me through the best combination to install? I don't play games nor watch cartoons, the only videos so far are those on DVD and thankfully whatever ad or pop up blocker that is installed( I think I saw one in my travels when trying to learn about the Mac) works great and there are no ads or pop ups.Thank you again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
You will find Flip4Mac useful for viewing Windows Media files because their playback on Macs is unpredictable This is the only bit of software that I downloaded and it does what it says on the tin without fuss and is free (but it isn't Adobe though which is of no matter really)

C

chas_m

I should add a note in defense of Adobe, because I don't want the OP to get the idea that all of their stuff is crap.

Adobe makes some good (though often bloated) products as well, depending on your needs. While the Mac community in general are less than thrilled with Adobe's Flash and Air product lines, as a whole we embrace their more professional products and also some of their consumer products (like Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements -- both very popular).

As was stated earlier, the main one you want to avoid is Acrobat Reader -- it's not needed on the Mac generally, as we already have an excellent PDF/Graphics readers on board (called Preview). Reader has also had a flurry of security issues over the past year, probably mostly fixed now but who wants to take that chance when you don't have to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi, I didn't get that impression from the OP. I thought that he/she was interested in free Adobe downloads that are most used relevant to Mac users only.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I suppose I was still in Windows mentality when I got this Mac and automatically downloaded Adobe 'just because' it was one of the products I had before.The issue I had with the Flash player, whatever it was,prompted me to ask for guidance from yourselves and from the guidance given I now see that I don't necessarily need Adobe products, or at least all the versions I had before(and maybe I didn't need them then either !).The Adobe Reader mention by chas_m is a good example - I now know that Preview will do the job for me.So I reckon I will leave it all off and if something comes up that demands an Adobe product,I will check then.Thanks again everyone for all the great assistance and slowly but surely I will make the break with old ways.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.