2 questions from this newbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" laptop 2009, 2.26GHZ intel core 2 duo, 4GB ram, iphone 4gs 64GB
first of all thanks to all the guys for all the help!
1. can I delete all the downloads in my download folder?
2. and how can I get rid of this thing that requires a password to change anything? I am the only one that uses this mac so I don't need a password protector
thank you: :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
first of all thanks to all the guys for all the help!
1. can I delete all the downloads in my download folder?
2. and how can I get rid of this thing that requires a password to change anything? I am the only one that uses this mac so I don't need a password protector
thank you: :)

1. You certainly can if you so choose. I actually don't usually since I like knowing I can go find the .dmg files again should I ever need them.

2. I cannot recommend strongly enough NOT doing this. That admin password is one of the biggest protections you have against an outside entity negatively impacting your computer. You need to leave that in place.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
2. I cannot recommend strongly enough NOT doing this. That admin password is one of the biggest protections you have against an outside entity negatively impacting your computer. You need to leave that in place.
Quoted because this needs to be emphasized.

You should only ever have to deal with the files in your home/user directory. If you take a look through the forums, you'll see a fair number of posts by people who tried to mess around with files outside of their user directory and have faced the consequences. If something requires a password, double check what it is that you're trying to accomplish and ask yourself if you really need to do it.

M

MacInWin

+1 for what Brian said. The strongest protection against malware is the core function in OSX that requires the user to agree to any and all software installation and configuration changes. You will come, in time, to see that password requirement as a real friend.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" laptop 2009, 2.26GHZ intel core 2 duo, 4GB ram, iphone 4gs 64GB
ok thanks! I didn't think about that.password will stay!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.