Apple TV2 authorisation problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
my ATV2 has been playing up recently. it keeps requesting that i authorise my computer from my laptop.

i keep on doing this but to no avail. I have tried all the apple communities advise, authorise, turn off and on, reset factory defaults etc..

strange that it is now coming up with this issue after weeks on happy days..

can anyone help?

thanks in advance

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
MAybe the unit itself is bad. I'd contact Apple.

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
yep, thought about that so i emailed the community support. i am now waiting for a response.

thanks

j

Reaction score
Same problem here. I have two ATV-2s; luckily one still has AppleCare. After months of flawless service, the first unit stopped streaming DRM content from iTunes on my Mac. I called Apple and got no real support because it didn't have AppleCare. I assumed it was a bad unit. After a few hours, the NEW unit gave me the same "Authentication" requirement. After HOURS on the phone with Apple, no resolution. I mentioned all the write-ups on the internet, and the senior technician claimed that though the error from ATV reads the same, the problem now is different. He said that since 1 Oct 2011, there has been a large increase in the Apple TV complaints with the same issue. They believe it is a server issue on their end and they are working to resolve. I certainly hope they do!

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey thanks for the update pmeguy. nice (if that is the correct word) to know i am not the only one.

so i emailed apple the problem below:

ATV2 has suddenly started to request authorisation to play movies that i have bought through itunes. when i authorise the computer, it has no affect...i have carried out all the actions through the online community support site with apple, but to know avail. very frustrating that it has suddenly just started to happen.

and the answer from our esteemed technical geniuses from Apple technical was this:

My name is Brittany, I understand that you have an inquiry about a pre authorization on your account "xxx". I know you want this resolved quickly. I'm here to help.

On 09/13/2011, the iTunes Store submitted an authorization request to your credit card company in the amount of xxx . After your credit card was verified, the iTunes Store charged xxx to your credit card for your purchase.

Please note that like many stores, the iTunes Store submits these authorization requests to credit card companies to verify that an account has sufficient credit to cover the amount of the sale. This is a temporary authorization hold, not an actual charge, and the credit card company should remove it in 24 to 48 hours.

If the amount that you see on your credit card statement differs from the amount on your iTunes Store receipt, you may want to ask your credit card company if it assesses a fee for purchases made over the Internet.

Additionally, if you have any questions about whether an amount on your online statement is an authorization request or a charge, or when the authorization hold will be removed from your account, please contact your credit card company.

Thank you for understanding, Jon. Have a great day!

Perhaps i should have advised them that i can play the movies on my lap top, so the credit card authorisation is not the issue. if it wasn't frustrating it would be funny.

any way, back to the drawing board as they say.

Reaction score
Both my ATVs are working flawlessly right now. No explanation. My buddy has been battling this error message for months and he still has no resolution. I hope my luck holds out!

OP
j0nb0y32
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and would you believe it, so is mine today......

odd, but not complaining

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Maybe they finally got the server issues ironed out...

Reaction score
This seems odd, but try switching out your HDMI cable with a better one. I had a cheap ebay cable on mine that was "thinner" than some others. I put a better cable on and now it works. :Confused: Not sure why that would have anything to do with it, but after researching this issue I found this apple support thread, which basically says you need an HDMI cable capable of HDCP.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/12577679#12577679

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.