Macro Lens Vs Extension Tubes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Evening Gentlemen,

I require some advice, if I may?

As my love for photography has developed, I've found that my desires for trying something new have grown, and I really want to get involved with macro photography.

I know that I've named this thread 'Macro Lens Vs Extension Tubes.', but I know full well that tubes can't replace having a bonafide macro lens... However, is it a suitable replacement? I've told the bird that, if she's feeling generous, she could do a lot worse than to get me the Tamron 90mm macro lens for Christmas. Me being me though, I'm itching to give it a go now and I'm wondering if I'm better off just getting some tubes and playing about with those instead? If they do the job?

I've currently got a Nikon 18-200mm, and a 50mm f/ 1.8 prime lens. Would attaching tubes to these work?

I've found some Kenko tubes for a reasonable £79, and I'm half tempted... Mainly because it's not £350 (which is what the Tamron lens costs), and I would have them now instead of waiting for Xmas. :\

Any thoughts? All I want to do is take pictures of spiders! ;)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm no help - but I'd bet this member Link could be if noone else comes along between now and then.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've never tried the tubes but I bought a set of cheap close up lenses that screw in to the filter threads. They work . . . sort of.
Definitely not a substitute for a Macro lens to my mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Tubes do work well, they don't use glass and so they don't degrade image quality (they create a larger ratio by moving the lens farther away from the focal plane). That said, they do so at the loss of some light (and thus speed), and the depth of field is far narrower. Also harder to focus. Bellows are much easier to use in that regard (almost impossible to find now though) and in some ways are the ultimate in this type of macro device, assuming you're working in a controlled environment (read studio). I have a couple sets of tubes and no macro lenses. Of course, I'm not really a macro kind of guy... so the tubes work well for the occasional time I need to use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOME: imac 24", 2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO, 4GB ram, 640GB HD.WORK:G5 Dual 2.7 GHz, 8GB ram
I used a reversed 50mm f/1.8 FD lens until I could afford a true macro lens. I started out with a Canon 60mm Macro lens but soon sold that and bought a Canon 100mm macro lens and a set of Kenko Tubes. I use the lens and tubes together all of the time.

reversed lens only
5815838096_c3a10049b9_z.jpg

Canon 100mm macro
5802509158_ea119857fb_z.jpg

Canon 100mm plus tubes

5734297946_171720ba18_z.jpg

OP
Chuckoir
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
You see, it's shots like these that make want to get involved in macro. They're amazing! Landscapes are pretty and all that, but I think there is something incredible in being able to photograph little beasties.

I've thought about it some more, and what I'll do is get the tubes now, and wait for Saint Nic to drop a lens down the chimney. If I'm a good boy, that is. :)

Many thanks for the advice, guys, much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.