• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

me 1, comcast.. well more than 1. but i got 1!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
Trying to trim the fat on any bill possible, i called comcast for the 2nd time recently to lower the services and therefore the bill.
This time was to lower the internet speed from 16 to 2. BIG SACRIFICE right? Well the lady started out with.. "ok i would be glad to help you.. seems like you have a stellar payment history.. i would like to offer you a deal.."
BAM! 20$ off current services for the next year ((no contact either)). Puts me at approx 55$/month with basic cable (~20 channels), and 16mb/s.
I gathered from the women on the other end of the phone that I am in the three rivers service area.
So, give it a shot and maybe you'll have a similar experience.
WOOHOO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Now that is the kind of customer service that I like! Nice!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Now, if AT&T would do the same thing as Comcast with my land line - lol

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Funny how this attitude comes and goes with Comcast.

For years, I had called them and they were usually happy to appease me by putting me on a new contract or adjusting my services to reduce my bill. That is, up until FIOS came into the area. Around that time, the line was "we don't compete with FIOS". So, I finally bit the bullet and let them call my bluff. I switched to FIOS.

I'm fairly pleased with the service itself, but FIOS' customer service is downright awful.

Interestingly, a gentleman in an "xfinity" shirt showed up on my front lawn last weekend trying to coerce me into switching back. When I told him about my experience with trying to negotiate with Comcast prior to switching, he seemed aghast and told me "oh, we fired all of those customer service reps - Comcast is definitely competing now!". Too bad I'm just a few months into a 2 year contract with FIOS. Oh well... hopefully this attitude is still prevalent with Comcast in June of 2013.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm fairly pleased with the service itself, but FIOS' customer service is downright awful.

Ditto here. What really annoys me is that there is no backup to get the FIOS system going again in the event of a power failure or glitch. A momentary power outage due to thunderstorms can knock the system off the air for hours at a time.

One of the problems around here is that the Fort Worth area was the original test bed for Verizon FIOS and I suspect the equipment might be first generation.

My FIOS contract is up in several months (December) and I'm seriously considering either Comcast or another carrier. The only thing I'm a bit hesitant about is FIOS currently has no bandwidth limits. Other carriers like AT&T, Charter, and even Comcast have bandwidth limits in some areas.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ditto here. What really annoys me is that there is no backup to get the FIOS system going again in the event of a power failure or glitch. A momentary power outage due to thunderstorms can knock the system off the air for hours at a time.

Interesting you should say that as I don't have that problem at all. My ONT (in my basement) has a UPS built right into it. It's good for several hours of powering all three services. After that period, it goes into low-power mode and only keeps the phone line live.

What kind of ONT do you have? Perhaps you could convince them to switch yours out for one of the battery-backed varieties?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
The odd thing... This is the exact opposite of how my Comcast negotiations went...

Me: "I want to lower my service..."

Comcast: "OK, well you'll have to switch modems. You will have to come to our office to pick up the new modem and return the old. You'll be charged at the old rate until the modem is exchanged."

I canceled my TV service instead. Dropped off their cable box, kept the 50MBPS Internet. They made no effort really to retain my business. Just mentioned that my bill would no longer have the multi-service discount.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
sry to hear that storm...

with the basic cable and 'not 50mbps' internet lol, i am guessing i have to bottom tier boxes... i am lucky enough to have a comcast shop (drop off/pick up Hardware) 5 minutes away to avoid the scheduling issues and sending and receiving that comes with it..
their tele-consumer support is amazing compared to their live person to person support.. but its still convenient.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of ONT do you have? Perhaps you could convince them to switch yours out for one of the battery-backed varieties?

That's the problem here. The older original FIOS installations only came with a battery backup for the phone system. None whatsoever for FIOS internet or TV. When mine goes down I also lose my TV and music channels until it comes back up. A real pain. I've asked Verizon several times to replace the entire system with one that has a backup and they have refused. That's why I'm thinking of switching. Perhaps that will wake them up enough to switch mine out for a later system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.