My IMAC is slow as molasses! HELP!

Reaction score
I am operating a IMAC Snowleapord OSX 10.6.8 When I first go on line the first 1 or 2 web sites load fairly fast but after that it gets very very slow. When I click to open a site sometimes my status says "stopped" then after after around 10 to 15 seconds it will say waiting then transferring data. The little blue progress bar usually goes to 1/4 waits 15 seconds then 1/2 another 15 seconds or more then 3/4 another wait and then almost to 100% but the last 10% takes 20 or 30 seconds to finally load. I have checked for viruses with Norton and have found none. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Have you run Onyx? Also, why are you using Norton?Onyx generally takes care of slow running problems. Van

OP
J
Reaction score
yesto both

I have used Onyx to repair and clean out the Macand I do have Norton anti virus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
What browser are you using... I would take out all the add-ons or extensions on the browser. Sometimes they slow things down. I know when I switched from DSL from Centurylink to Cable, I don't get the hang-time anymore, so it just may be your provider.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have used Onyx to repair and clean out the Macand I do have Norton anti virus

Here's some advice:

OnyX is good, Norton is bad. I strongly advise removing NAV as it only checks for Windows viruses and slows everything down. If you wish to run an AV program, the free ClamXav is good and it does not interfere or slow the system down.

When removing NAV, follow their uninstall instructions. You can not drag NAV to the Trash and expect it will be removed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Jeffcp - no-one here will be suprised that Norton did not find any viruses because there aren't any OSX viruses. Norton on the other hand is a problem. Remove it as described above and report back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.