Please Help...?

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly I am not exactly superb when it comes to technical issues !

I am looking to connect my electric guitar to my Macbook with a view to record on Garageband but am not seeming to have any joy. I have watched countless videos on YouTube and have the required 1/4" to 1/8" converter as stated.

The problem starts when I have seen people plugging into an extra input by the side of the headphones plug. I only have the plug for headphones and no seperate input.

I have connected my guitar into the headphones and Garageband will pick up some sound through it but its intermittent and very bad (not recognisable as playing guitar). I have changed all of the input - output settings as mentioned, altered volumes etc but am still not having any joy.

Do I need any further software ? or just please where am I going wrong?

Any help (in simple terms) would be hugely appreciated !
:'(

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to connect my electric guitar to my Macbook with a view to record on Garageband but am not seeming to have any joy. I have watched countless videos on YouTube and have the required 1/4" to 1/8" converter as stated.

The problem starts when I have seen people plugging into an extra input by the side of the headphones plug. I only have the plug for headphones and no seperate input.

I have connected my guitar into the headphones and Garageband will pick up some sound through it but its intermittent and very bad (not recognisable as playing guitar). I have changed all of the input - output settings as mentioned, altered volumes etc but am still not having any joy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged...not necessary to cross-post. Thanks.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Sorry, I thought I had posted it in the wrong spot so put it into the other one!

I dont suppose you can help can you?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi,

:'(
We have some guys on here who do a lot of recording (I'm not one of them) but it sounds to me like you have a bad adapter or cable since you are getting intermittent sound.

EDIT: Are you using a pre-amp? Not sure the audio input on the Mac will give you much without some prior amplification.

OP
C
Reaction score
Firstly thank you for your reply !

No I am not using a pre-amp and the converter should be in good working order. I have done a bit of digging and it looks like I may need an IMic !

I just dont know if I need to create an extra input, I spoke to an Apple advisor who assured me that my one slot for headphones will act as an input but im not too sure !

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Firstly thank you for your reply !

No I am not using a pre-amp and the converter should be in good working order. I have done a bit of digging and it looks like I may need an IMic !

I just dont know if I need to create an extra input, I spoke to an Apple advisor who assured me that my one slot for headphones will act as an input but im not too sure !

I input my electric guitar to my MBP using the audio input jack, so I know it works, but I am also using the headphone out jack on my guitar.
I don't think you will get much using the 1/4 inch output plug without a preamplifier. If you want to go that route will need to buy some more hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.