• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

What is best 1080/50p (Panasonic) converter for Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac OSX 10.6.8
I have an Imac 2.66 intel core duo running 10.5.8 and Imovie 09. My problem is, having recently bought a Panasonic HDC-SD900 video camera which records at 1080/50p AVCHD, that the Mac can’t deal with the files. Am working with “Handbrake” at the moment to convert the files losslessly to something Mac can handle. Therefore am looking for the best converter and ways to handle the problem.

The problem is there are so many conversion systems which are listed below and I would be very grateful to know which is the best - please help if you can as am new to this.

HANDBRAKE, am using at the moment but conversion takes ages.

AUNSOFT FINAL MATE FOR MAC, - but will this work on what I have?

VIDEO CONVERTER FOR MAC,

WONDERSHARE VIDEO CONVERTER FOR MAC,

AVCHD CONVERTER FOR MAC, (ULTIMATE, ?)

WONDERSHARE MOVIE CONVERTER for MAC

PANASONIC VIDEO CONVERTER FOR MAC

I am at sea with the many possibilities! Please advise me and help -:):) any other ideas also welcome. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Handbrake is the best for sure, but it does take time, quality always does.
The next 5 there are terrible, and should be avoided. They are basically the same software repackaged, and do an awful job. There are kind of "spam" software if you like. (iskysoft is another).
I don't know, and can't find anything about the last one there.

Now, in what way can your Mac not deal with the files? Not play them back, or not edit them?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac OSX 10.6.8
Thanks very much indeed for your help, Kevriano.

I should like to edit my videos and get Apple TV to play them back - I guess through Itunes, but they are not being recognised by Itunes. The final and most important thing is to burn them to DVD or later to Blu-ray. Any ideas? Again, thanks very much for your help. All the best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok. How big are the source files?
Handbrake will indeed convert them for Apple TV, as it has a preset for it (which I assume you are using), however to burn into a playable format on a DVD will require another conversion, as Handbrake does not support MPEG2.
For Blu Ray I think you could burn the source file and it will work. You would need Toast to do so though.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac OSX 10.6.8
Hi Kevriano, Many thanks again for your help. I'm trying to get the Handbrake converted files to appear in Itunes under Movies but they are not appearing. Any ideas?

Sorry about delay, but have been offline.

All the best, applecbj

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
After you convert them, open iTunes and drag your file into it.

Or just open Finder, drag and drop the file onto the iTunes icon in the Dock.

If you're letting iTunes manage and copy into it's library, you can then delete the original converted file - after you've verified it's there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.