Where can I buy a used Mac mini?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GiB RAM, 80 GiB hard drive, Intel GMA 950, SuperDrive
Hello, MacForums! :)

As you can see from my signature, I have an iPad 2, which has replaced a lot of my laptop usage. My school sent me an HP ProBook, and I absolutely despise it, but there are just some things for which I still need a "real" computer, like:

• Downloading, converting and streaming video (with Air Video)
  • Photo editing
  • Some web browsing
  • Light gaming
  • Syncing my iDevices

So I'm sending my ProBook back sometime in the next few months, and have been looking for a Mac to replace it. Since I'm a student and on a very tight budget, a Mac mini is the natural choice. I've got some old Windows hardware (monitors and things) lying around, but primarily my plan is to install LogMeIn or Splashtop, keep it in my cabinet, and just remote in with my iPad to do those tasks. Where can I find one - preferably an Intel/Lion compatible model - for around $200?

Thanks so much, and if there's a better option, please let me know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the forum.
Not sure where you live, but there is always CraigsList, Ebay and they are not $200 but the Apple Refurb store always has good discounts to keep a eye out for.

Cheers

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't trust ebay or craiglist. I would buy from the refurbished Apple store.

They have 1 year warranty on them and you can purchase Apple care for it too, as if it was a new machine.

Probably not going to that kind of guarantee with another seller.

OP
mknightretke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GiB RAM, 80 GiB hard drive, Intel GMA 950, SuperDrive
Thanks. I live in a pretty small town, so Craigslist is not an option - the only Apple computer on there is a G4 Mac mini, and a PowerPC computer just won't run the software I need. I glanced at the Apple refurb store, but the Macs mini there are still out of my price range.

eBay is the obvious choice, but I was wondering more if there was an online store or refurbisher that has cheap, trusted Macs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but I was wondering more if there was an online store or refurbisher that has cheap, trusted Macs.

There are a good number of these...but their prices are way too high. Basically the prices for these folks are higher than e-Bay prices...but lower than Apple refurb. prices.

Your best bet for a used Mac-mini (considering your local Craig's List doesn't have much) is e-Bay...period!

- Nick

OP
mknightretke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, thanks for the advice. The only Macs mini circa 2007 on eBay are up for auction, so I guess I'll wait around until I see a "Buy It Now" listing and snatch it. I'll be back when I need to set up OS X! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
It will be a bit of a wait, but it will be worth it. I love my Mini.

OP
mknightretke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: I just purchased a mid-2007 Mac mini with Snow Leopard, as well as a 19" display, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. This whole ensemble cost barely $400! Apparently, it's too expensive is no longer an excuse not to buy a Mac, and that was the only excuse I had left. :D

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air mid-2013 4GB, and other machines
You got a REALLY good deal, methinks. I'd looked at Mac Minis for a while, and they were fairly expensive. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Update: I just purchased a mid-2007 Mac mini with Snow Leopard, as well as a 19" display, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. This whole ensemble cost barely $400! Apparently, it's too expensive is no longer an excuse not to buy a Mac, and that was the only excuse I had left. :D

Thank you all for your help and advice.

Wow, that is a great deal! Usually Mini's of that price are the earlier Core Duo or Core Solo ones, but yours can take up to Lion and 3GB of ram rather than 2!

Good luck, hope it treats you well. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.