Questions about Apple malware protection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I'm running SnowLeopard 10.6.8. Earlier this year, I thought I installed Apple's automatic malware protection. In System Preferences, Security, General, the option for "Automatically Update Safe Downloads List" is grayed out. When the lock at the bottom is unlocked with your password, you can make changes to the list, but the lock always winds up locking again and the option grays out again. I'm not sure it it's working or not.

When I tried to via the Terminal following MacWorld's instructions to check and see if I was up to date(System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/REsources/XProtect.met.plist), I get "no file found".

What am I doing wrong and how can I correct this to automatically update the definitions? TIA

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Thanks Chas. I also found an app called "Safe Downloads Version" from Mac Observer that tells you what your latest version is just by clicking a button.

C

chas_m

You're really overthinking this. You don't have to worry about it, manage it or check up on it. It Just Works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.