New iMac or old for me?

T

TimF

I've been eyeing up the refurbished iMac 2 GHz G5 17" at $1,250 for the past few weeks and decided to wait until the big announcement today. My takeaway is that I can now get a new 17" for $1,299 which includes a built in camera (which I would not use), a remote control (again, limited use since I would not watch movies on it), and slower processor. My interest is still the same in that I would use it for my iPod (20GB photo still in the box, great), Manipulation and storage of digital photos and conversion of videos to DVD. Plus the 17" refurbished iMacs that I have been eyeing up are now $949. Am I missing something, or is there really no advantage for me to get the new iMac over the old?

Reaction score
I would go for the old one. The new ones do have some other differences besides the gimmicky crap like the camera and remote, like the new memory and video card which really won't make a noticeable performance difference IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I am actually glad I have my iSight separate from my computer. It is nice to be able to maneuver it around to show somebody something. It would be much harder if I had to move the iMac itself

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.