I think all my files are wiped out!

Reaction score
Was gone for the weekend and a housesitter was here with her young daughter. I tried opening all my files (iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, Word, Contacts) and everything's gone. I've been backing up automatically on a Time Capsule, but it's asking me for a new password (I think the kid set something up and I have no idea what she's done).
Freaking out here. Any suggestions?
Sh......ucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do have big problems. Never EVER let other's kids near your computer!

Try booting from the install disc and repairing hard drive and see if that tells you anything and get on to your friend and threaten mayhem unless the daughter tells you what she has done, if she knows.

Was the Time Capsule left attached to the drive?

OP
T
Reaction score
Whew!

I realized the little girl signed herself in under a different name. I logged out of that and logged in as myself. Didn't even think to check that until I was ready to rip my hair out. Thanks for the quick reply, though.

Reaction score
I realized the little girl signed herself in under a different name. I logged out of that and logged in as myself. Didn't even think to check that until I was ready to rip my hair out. Thanks for the quick reply, though.

Wow.... quick change of pants huh!!!!!..... must have been a near "out of body" experience!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not only out of body ~ also out of mind eh tinywolf1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Was gone for the weekend and a housesitter was here with her young daughter. I tried opening all my files (iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, Word, Contacts) and everything's gone. I've been backing up automatically on a Time Capsule, but it's asking me for a new password (I think the kid set something up and I have no idea what she's done).
Freaking out here. Any suggestions?
Sh......ucks.

That is one of the scariest stories i have read in a long time.
Next time set up your password so they can't access the machine what so ever. Hope it has been a lesson learnt :)

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At least that one knew to setup/log in to a separate account - wow - amazingly good luck there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

You got lucky this time!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.