PC Convert needs good advice for first Mac.

Reaction score
Hi everyone… like many who arrive here, I am a PC user who is fed up with the constant ‘upkeep’ that is required of me just to keep my OS running. The daily threat of viruses, incomparability issues, and recently the BSoD!
Anyway, after trying to sort out my HD issues using one of the many registry fixing programs that purport to be the best thing since sliced bread, and then apparently losing my ability to boot up my very aging laptop altogether, I decided to treat myself to a new laptop, and a Mac at that… hopefully.

I have a few issues I would like to address before I take the leap. I guess also that most of you here will be a little biased towards Mac, which something I am not (yet), but just a guy looking to get a good reliable laptop which would also be less prone to the “usual” problems that Microsoft have.

Just as a matter of interest, the final straw was when I saw that Windows XP is to be phased out altogether, and that the many millions of people that use it would need to throw it out and buy the next generation of OS (Win 7 or 8), which will more than likely have its own share of bugs and issues.

So, here I am.

Okay, that said, I am at a bit of a loss as to which Mac to get. Thankfully however, there are not that many choices (I’ve spent two weeks pouring over other makes of laptops before landing here).

I have been using my wife’s work laptop, which is a two year old HP Elitebook. I must say I like the feel of it, it being very robust and ‘built’. The biggest drawback so far is that we couldn’t connect it to the TV when my brother came to stay (he bought a lot of films on a portable drive with him). So no HDMI connection it seems. Also, it doesn’t have the newer USB 3, which many are raving about. Basically, it is a business laptop without any bells and whistles.

If I can state then what I am looking for, maybe someone here on the forum could assist me in choosing the right one?

Things I am looking for.

Good screen/display/resolution. Ideally 15” Anti glare (or self applied)
Good/reasonable battery life(or upgradeable)
Good connectivity, ie HDTV, USB 3 etc.
Optical drive

The apps will be general purpose, inc music downloads/playing.
Music recording/editing.
MS Office and email apps.
Calibre (ebook software)
… and much more than I can remember at the moment….

One last thing, and that is that I have looked on Amazon, and there seems to be so many different model numbers for the same "Mac".... and price variations, so that makes me a bit curious too!
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 13"- Late 2009, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD running OSX 10.7
I would suggest just looking on the Apple website itself.
If you are buying new you have the option of the MacBook Pro or the MacBook Air with their various customisations.
If you are okay with buying used or refurbished, then its a bigger picture. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
I would suggest just looking on the Apple website itself.
If you are buying new you have the option of the MacBook Pro or the MacBook Air with their various customisations.
If you are okay with buying used or refurbished, then its a bigger picture. :)

Hi Alex

Thank you for the reply.

I dont think the refurbished route is an option, basically because of where I live. That is New Zealand (south island). We have limited choice here, ie few shops compaired to the UK or US. I would be uncomfortable with importing a refurb without being able to see it first. If there was a problem, it would be a nightmare to sort out... just the shipping alone!!!

I'm looking at maybe the 13" Pro, would like the 15".... but dont think I can stretch to that right now... may regret that later though.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi Alex

Thank you for the reply.

I dont think the refurbished route is an option, basically because of where I live. That is New Zealand (south island). We have limited choice here, ie few shops compaired to the UK or US. I would be uncomfortable with importing a refurb without being able to see it first. If there was a problem, it would be a nightmare to sort out... just the shipping alone!!!

I'm looking at maybe the 13" Pro, would like the 15".... but dont think I can stretch to that right now... may regret that later though.

I would 2nd Alex's advice with one difference. I buy almost everything from Amazon (including my Apple stuff). Use the Apple web site to decide what you want, then you can easily sort through the listings on Amazon.

One important thing to remember in purchasing through Amazon (and this will filter out a lot of listings) is if it doesn't say "sold and fulfilled by Amazon" don't touch it (selecting only Prime Eligible will generally filter out the 3rd party sellers).
Why is this important, because you get the same protections in buying from authorized Apple resellers that you do in buying direct from Apple. Amazon is an authorized reseller for most Apple products, most of the 3rd parties selling through Amazon aren't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 13"- Late 2009, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD running OSX 10.7
Well i have a late 2009 White MacBook 13" and it is fine, IMO 15" is too big for a laptop, it just loses its portability. But if you don't really want it for portability then i guess the 15" would be good for you.
Just my 2 cents.
If i were in your position i would go for the 13" MacBook Pro and customise it as you want. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Well i have a late 2009 White MacBook 13" and it is fine, IMO 15" is too big for a laptop, it just loses its portability. But if you don't really want it for portability then i guess the 15" would be good for you.
Just my 2 cents.
If i were in your position i would go for the 13" MacBook Pro and customise it as you want. :)

Yes I am seriously leaning towards the 13".... and I like it to be portable and easy to throw around... ie whilst lounging about at home,and travelling.
Also, Raz... good comment about the filtering out using Amazon.... didnt know that! Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.