Making the Switch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
As a long time iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV user, I finally decided I should have an Apple computer. Just ordered a new Mac Mini... Not the most powerful Mac, but I don't love laptops, and the MM will work for all that I really need to do day to day. Having already bought Adobe CS5 master collection for Windows, all my editing will be staying on my PC just to save two grand for now :) . The Mac will be for (literally) everything else.

I went through Switch 101 before I even ordered, and I think I am ready for the change over as far as files/formats/programs goes.

I do have a couple of questions though...

1: Is there any way to have my network attached storage available for both my PC, and my Mac? I couldn't find anything in the articles I read saying that it would, or would not work. Only people going on and on about formats. I understand format issues for individual files, and already have used Handbrake to convert all my video to run on the iOS devices. I know that I will need to have a FAT32 partition(s) to move between the PC and the Mac (2TB drive, so I have enough space for numerous partitions), but do I need to move every file in the following manner:
HFS+ --> FAT32 --> NTFS to get from Mac to PC
NTFS --> FAT32 --> HFS+ to get from PC to Mac
Or is it possible to simply put everything that I want on both computers into the FAT32 drive partition(s) and grab and go from there?

2: Do I need a USB keyboard and mouse for initial set up, or can I just use my current Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech DiNovo Edge) from initial use? I already have the drivers on a USB drive just to be ready in case the Mac can't recognize the keyboard out of the box.

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Welcome to Mac-Forums Stormin

I'm glad you have decided to make the switch, it sounds like you have thought very hard about it :)
And we are all here with you if you ever need any more advice or problem solving.
So on to your questions:

1: By a simply rule of thumb HFS+ can only be read by OSX, NTFS can only be read by Windows and FAT32 can be read by both. So you can just dump everything onto a FAT32 formatted drive and read/ write by both Operating Systems.
Now you can certainly read NTFS from OSX but you cannot write to it, unless you install a third party app like Paragon NTFS.

2: You will need to have a USB keyboard and mouse for the initial setup so that you can then sync the bluetooth keyboard when you are up and running, (see if you can borrow one from someone)

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
_Stormin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
Got everything last night...

Just decided to give the diNovo Edge a shot. Plugged in it's receiver, ran the initial setup, disconnected the receiver, key board works great.

Now I begin the long process of bringing over all of my music and movies to the Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Hope it all goes well, let us know if you need any advice or information to help your move a little easier!

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.