Find my library's.

Reaction score
I really hope I have this is the correct place?

So I have two macs. I want to use my old Mac pro as a server and the iMac as the main comp. I have every thing set up on my iMac and we are good to go. But for the life of me I can't get iTunes on the iMac to accept the library's in the pro. Both computers are running Lion. But have the same iTunes and it ant working.

Or put another way I want to use the pro as a very big external HDD arary.

Much love, a very confused Steve.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Give this article a look The Easiest Way To Move Your iTunes Library To An External Drive | MakeUseOf I know it is talking about moving the files to an external drive but the process is the same. The difference is that instead of going into preferences and directing iTunes to an external drive you will direct it to the appropriate location on your Mac Pro.

One word of caution: If you are having network issues and the Mac Pro is not available when you launch iTunes it will be unable to find some of your music. I solved this by making a basic Automator workflow that tried to mount the appropriate volume before launching iTunes. You could also close iTunes, connect to the volume then re-launch iTunes.

OP
S
Reaction score
I've done this and as simple as it sounds and it really should work, its just not. I can point iTunes to the HDDs in the pro but I can't see any films or tv shows. If I try and drop a film into iTunes pointing at the correct HDDs in pro it says I don't have the correct access to do so. Any further ideas anyone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.