Well....I've done it!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", Late 2013
I've always had a niggling desire within me to give Mac products a go, despite me being an IT Engineer and having using Windows since the days of Windows 95 :D (I'm only 26 haha)

I bought myself an iPad 2 a month ago, and have enjoyed it a lot since purchase.

Today, I gave in and decided to go the next step and buy myself a 13" Macbook Air!! This post is being typed upon my new Air as I write of course!!!

I'm looking forward to diving in and seeing what OSX Lion has to offer, but so far I have enjoyed what I have seen. I have to make comment on the fact I love the keyboard, the way the keys feel under my fingers.......I'm writing my first novel at the moment and I seriously think that I will enjoy writing the rest of my novel on my new Macbook, provided I can convert my Word docs to Pages :D

Here's to enjoying my new purchase!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 13"- Late 2009, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD running OSX 10.7
You should have no problem viewing word docs on Pages :)
Congratulations on the Macbook Air :)

OP
Fisher85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", Late 2013
Yeah I'm sure I will enjoy it, I like the smoothness that OSX seems to have, and as I have already stated, I just love typing on the keyboard!!! Downloading Pages just now, so will hopefully get that running soon.

Already have Eset for Mac AV installed too so that's been taken care of!!

OP
Fisher85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", Late 2013
Also, can I ask, is there any way you can configure the Mail app to limit the number of email messages it downloads from Gmail/Hotmail etc.

I've had a look in the settings but there doesn't seem to be any way. Is it possible? Or does it just pull down everything when you setup an account?

Thanks!!

C

chas_m

It pulls down everything that's stored on the server when you first set it up, so the only way to control that is to clean up what's on the server. After that of course it will just pull down what's new.

If your email account is POP, I suggest setting the preference to remove the email from the server when it's moved out of the Inbox (ie you've filed it or deleted it).

If your email is IMAP, then there's really nothing you need do.

OP
Fisher85
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", Late 2013
Where are the speakers located on the Macbook Air?? Are they under the keyboard, the sound quality on the Macbook Air is amazing. I've never had anything like it on a laptop before!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Congratulations. That was a necessary change. You've finally joined the major league. :p

I have a MacBook Pro 2010 so I wouldn't know where the Air's speakers are, but I'm guessing under the silver bezel, not the keyboard.

C

chas_m

I don't own a MBA, but I believe the speakers are "hidden" under the "unihinge" and bounce the sound off the bottom of the screen. It's quite clever, really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
Yeah I'm sure I will enjoy it, I like the smoothness that OSX seems to have, and as I have already stated, I just love typing on the keyboard!!! Downloading Pages just now, so will hopefully get that running soon.

Already have Eset for Mac AV installed too so that's been taken care of!!

Take it from one other long time IT guy. since dos 2.1 days. Give up the idea of Antivirus. it will only slow down your machine. the only way a virus or Trojan can infect you is if you install it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

Congrats on the Mac move, best wishes for the book.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.