Mail - import from mbox format doesn't work

Reaction score
Moving wife from OS2 machine (don't ask) using PMMail to iMac (Snow Leopard). Wrote a program that converts the individual message files to mbox files for each folder and subfolder. Problem is that when I put the resulting mbox files on the iMac and try an import, the folders are added, but opening one shows NO headers.

Need advice on what I need to tweak in my program. The header format is as documented in a number of web sources, and matches what I see in Thunderbird for Windows mbox files.

Could the problem be CR LF line endings rather than LF only? Other ideas? Are nulls (hex 00) in the files a big no-no? I didn't see any there, but if they are in the input data, they get passed through.

OP
J
Reaction score
Moving wife from OS2 machine (don't ask) using PMMail to iMac (Snow Leopard). Wrote a program that converts the individual message files to mbox files for each folder and subfolder. Problem is that when I put the resulting mbox files on the iMac and try an import, the folders are added, but opening one shows NO headers.

Need advice on what I need to tweak in my program. The header format is as documented in a number of web sources, and matches what I see in Thunderbird for Windows mbox files.

Could the problem be CR LF line endings rather than LF only? Other ideas? Are nulls (hex 00) in the files a big no-no? I didn't see any there, but if they are in the input data, they get passed through.

I'm still looking for guidance here after more than a year. I've tried a lot of different stuff, using LF line ends, and trying to match the mbox format you get (I'm now using Mt Lion) when you export a mail folder [it's a package, but there is an embedded mbox file and it imports successfully).

Hope someone sees this and can help! :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Problem solved. For some reason I thought that the 'From ' line included a tz value. When I saw the error of my ways and eliminated it, my program worked beautifully.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you resolved it. When I first saw your post mentioning OS/2 I had to look twice! :) Been many years since I ran IBM's finest. Still a great OS. If you're into reading FIDO, there are still several echoes that are active which are about OS/2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.