here is a download question

Reaction score
O.k. so I download an app lets say, now I don't like the app for whatever reason, how do I uninstall the app? or any program for that matter. When I download something, I see an icon in the upper right corner, assume it is a dialog box of the download. maybe my question is: what is the procedure to download and install and app, and then remove the unwanted app? thanks for all the help!... Dennis

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most OS X applications can be uninstalled by dragging their icon from the Applications folder to the Trash. There may be some residual files left behind such as those with an extension of *.plist (property list files) but they're small and can usually be ignored.

There are other applications which contain an uninstaller. If there is an uninstaller or instructions for uninstalling given by the publisher, they should be followed. Most complex programs will have instructions to uninstall or an uninstaller file. When in doubt, always go to the publisher's web site for to find out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Like chscag said, you can just drag most apps to the trash can and that will get it off of your system. However, I like using the app "AppCleaner" to uninstall apps. AppCleaner is easy to use and just by dragging the app icon that you want to uninstall into the AppCleaner, it finds all files associated with that app and gets rid of everything. This way you don't have the leftover *.plist files and other system files the app needed. Again like chscag said, if an app has an uninstaller or special directions on how to uninstall the app, the uninstaller should be used or the directions should be followed. Good luck.

- ImageX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
AppCleaner is easy to use and just by dragging the app icon that you want to uninstall into the AppCleaner, it finds all files associated with that app and gets rid of everything. This way you don't have the leftover *.plist files and other system files the app needed.

That's not quite true. It will get rid of the plist file for you, but it will leave behind some system files that are probably not very large or troublesome. The best way to get rid of an app is manually. Even an uninstaller will leave a few things behind. But, to do it manually, you have to know where everything is. That's the challenge.

C

chas_m

All I have to add to this is the caveat that "pro" applications (think Adobe, pro audio/video, Microsoft Office et al) usually have their own way of installing and consequently have a specific uninstaller that comes with them. In all cases where an app comes with an uninstaller, you should use it rather than any other method.

For most apps (anything that doesn't mess with the system, basically), just dragging the app to the trash is sufficient. You may leave behind an 8kb plist file, but seriously who cares. It doesn't affect anything. App cleaner is nice for the detail-obsessive, but it's not actually *necessary,* just *extra-tidy.*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.