• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie Not Opening

Reaction score
Hey people, apologies in advance for the noob-ness. First ever post!

I'm having a problem when opening iMovie. Basically, I open the programme and the icon does its bouncy thing on the dock with the blue light underneath, however nothing else happens. When I right click on the icon and select 'show all windows' all I get is a dimmed image of my desktop. The only way to quit iMovie is to select 'force quit'.

I've only had my mac 3 weeks, so it's a 13 inch macbook pro with Lion and the newest version of iLife, and everything else I assume.

iMovie was working great for the first few weeks, I made a couple of movie trailers etc, however it seemed to stop working after I imported a number of videos from 'Movies' in the finder into iPhoto, and then iMovie was creating icons for the new iPhoto movies if I remember correctly.

Anyway that's everything I can think of, any help would be really appreciated, and if this problem is better suited in another forum please let me know.

Thanks!

-Goodfella_815

C

chas_m

Probably what's happening is that you're not waiting long enough for iMovie's main window to open. It sometimes takes a little while if you've got a lot of video in your event library.

Try opening iMovie and walking away, make a cup of coffee or something. Then come back and see if the main window isn't now open.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey

Thanks for the advice. I tried opening iMovie and left my mac alone for 15 minutes. I came back to a blank screen, with the usual options as before :\

C

chas_m

Okay, it's almost certainly some other issue then. Let's try this: log into a different account on your Mac. If you don't already have a second account on the machine, you can make one and delete it later -- or use the Guest Account option, either will do.

Now try to launch iMovie from the second account. Does it work?

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok, I did what u said, created a Guest account, logged in and iMovie opened fine. But of course, I have no media on that account. So is there a way to transfer that working iMove onto my regular account?

I forgot to mention before, that I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling iMovie twice, but obviously didn't work out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
In your own account, try trashing the iMovie .plist in Home Folder>Library>Preferences. It may, or may not, solve the problem.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey MightyGem. I did as you said, and opened iMovie. The good - The programme opens and gives me a welcome message as if I were using it for the first time. Then it automatically proceeds to transfer the videos from iPhoto - Awesome. but then it sticks at 99%, I waited at least 30 mins but it doesn't budge, tried this twice. So close but so far! I might try your idea again but delete all my movies from iPhoto first, as I still have them in the finder. Back in 10...

OP
G
Reaction score
Right so I did as I said I would, and it Works fine! :D Wowow. I'm guessing that i had too many videos in iPhoto so iMovie couldn't handle the quantity when opening up. From now on, i'll just drag the specific videos I need into iPhoto rather that storing copies of everything there. Thanks for the help guys!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.