• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What would you change?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
This is not meant to be an overly serious or heavy thread. There are lot's things I would change if I could, but on a lighter note what is the one thing you would change about our world if you could?

You can post multiple things if you wish, but only one change per thread.

Here's mine.

I would change things so that everything that tastes good would be good for you, and the more of it you ate, the healthier you got. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but on a lighter note what is the one thing you would change about our world if you could?

Wow...that really leaves room for a lot of possibilities. I'm a big Sci-Fi guy...so sometimes I think of things in Sci-Fi terms.

Something I would like to change...is make the Earth bigger. I'm talking like the size of Jupiter. I know that there are technical reasons why this wouldn't work. But consider or ponder what it would be like to have an Earth as large as Jupiter...but still environmentally...be just like the Earth we know today.

The whole darn planet wouldn't even be completely explored. It would be like the world of Christopher Columbus (in terms of exploration)...except we would have computers, space shuttles, Big Mac's, and jet planes.

Just imagine (with today's technologies) how long it would take to get from one side of the planet to the other side.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
This is not meant to be an overly serious or heavy thread. There are lot's things I would change if I could, but on a lighter note what is the one thing you would change about our world if you could?

You can post multiple things if you wish, but only one change per thread.

Here's mine.

I would change things so that everything that tastes good would be good for you, and the more of it you ate, the healthier you got. :)

That's a great idea. It would be nice if fats, sweets were good for you. Cause they obviously taste good but aren't healthy for you. >_<"

It boggles my mind that healthy food cost more while the food that is bad for you cost less. >_<"

Wow...that really leaves room for a lot of possibilities. I'm a big Sci-Fi guy...so sometimes I think of things in Sci-Fi terms.

Something I would like to change...is make the Earth bigger. I'm talking like the size of Jupiter. I know that there are technical reasons why this wouldn't work. But consider or ponder what it would be like to have an Earth as large as Jupiter...but still environmentally...be just like the Earth we know today.

The whole darn planet wouldn't even be completely explored. It would be like the world of Christopher Columbus (in terms of exploration)...except we would have computers, space shuttles, Big Mac's, and jet planes.

Just imagine (with today's technologies) how long it would take to get from one side of the planet to the other side.

- Nick

Jetsons or Futurama?

If the earth was as large as Jupiter I think the gravitational pull would alter the inner planets and possible make them our moons.

On a side note have they found any planets with iron cores that are larger than Jupiter anywhere? I thought only gas Planets could get that large?

There is many things I would change it's hard to know where to start. I think I would wish for a new clean source of energy that doesn't pollute the planet. >_>"

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Nick

One of my favorite books is Hal Clement's "Mission of Gravity" so I could really go for this change. :)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I would wish for a new clean source of energy that doesn't pollute the planet. >_>"

I actually had and idea for this combining Bio-fuel technology with a solution to the obesity epidemic. It would be a Liposuction seat cushion that would feed a converter and fuel cell.
I know a lot of people who could drive from NYC to LA without having to refuel. ;) (Including yours truly if I'm honest about it).

Now all I need is to find some good tech guys to work out the details.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Let's all be born at 100, and age younger like Benjamin Button was it?

You guys need a full time job real bad!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I actually had and idea for this combining Bio-fuel technology with a solution to the obesity epidemic. It would be a Liposuction seat cushion that would feed a converter and fuel cell.
I know a lot of people who could drive from NYC to LA without having to refuel. ;) (Including yours truly if I'm honest about it).

Now all I need is to find some good tech guys to work out the details.

I think that would be a little painful. >_>"

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys need a full tim job real bad!

Are you referring to the old "Idle hands . . ." saw? O:)

I'll have you know I am in transition (planning mode) for my second career, professional golfer.

I only have a few things I need to do:
1) Retire (not that far away now)
2) Buy a new set of clubs (can't go pro with old stuff)
3) Knock a few strokes off my game (a dozen or so per 9 holes--should be a piece of cake. ) ;) ;P
4) Come up with a list of good excuses why I wasn't able to do step 3 (I obviously NEED a better set of clubs e.g.) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I tried golf, but I couldn't get past that darn windmill.

My change - improve education. Set high standards in education and require students to meet or exceed those expectations. Stop lowering standards so kids can meet them. We've compromised so much on our educational system, in order to try to "save" every student, that, according to recent surveys, our ranking in world education has gone from the top to 33rd in reading, 27th in math and 22nd in science. Canada is in the top five of all three categories. We're going to find ourselves becoming a third world country in a few generations simply because all the jobs will go to countries where the typical high school graduate is better educated than our college graduates. We'll become the community-college nation amongst the ivy-league nations.

Oh, and chocolate would be as healthy as broccoli or spinach.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried golf, but I couldn't get past that darn windmill . . . ..

Don't forget the Clown, something about those shifty little eyes always takes me off my game. ;)

Change 2:
I would make the Law of Gravity advisory. Being able to fly at will would be really cool!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There isn't a single word in the English language to describe all that I would change. That said, if I had to choose just one thing, I'd make the world a global empire (a la the Romans) and appoint myself emperor. You're all welcome for the glory that would inevitably ensue from such a system of governance. :p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One of my favorite books is Hal Clement's "Mission of Gravity" so I could really go for this change.

(Also one of my favorite SF books, when I was into SF that is.)

But as for what I would change.... I'll quote from Omar Khayyam the 12th Century Persian poet and philosopher. This taken from the 51st verse of his famous Rubaiyat:

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There isn't a single word in the English language to describe all that I would change. That said, if I had to choose just one thing, I'd make the world a global empire (a la the Romans) and appoint myself emperor. You're all welcome for the glory that would inevitably ensue from such a system of governance. :p
You have my vote!
(Just as long as I can claim a suitable post in your administration) ;)

But as for what I would change.... I'll quote from Omar Khayyam the 12th Century Persian poet and philosopher. This taken from the 51st verse of his famous Rubaiyat:

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

+1 (though deeper philisophically than I originally intended for this thread)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You have my vote!
(Just as long as I can claim a suitable post in your administration) ;)
Consider it done! Take your pick while the choices are still open. ;)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Consider it done! Take your pick while the choices are still open. ;)

I'll take Defense Minister, since it will be a Global Empire there won't actually be anyone to fight or defend against, but I will still have lots of really cool toys to play with!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd make smoking smell pleasant and be healthy for you if I could "change" something. Of course, that messes with the whole Darwin Award thing and risks overpopulation and crashing some pharmaceutical companies. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What I would change....hmmm....besides all the corrupt government systems in this world, I would add an underwater transportation system to cover the vast ocean space so that the people living on opposite continents could visit each other without paying for flying...and having to insure the wrath of a crying baby all through the flight! I would make the speed limit similar to that of the autobahn too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
I'd like to submit my bid for Secretary of the Treasury.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Free high speed internet for the entire world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.