Trying To Play DVDs

Reaction score
Hi,
I have these instruction DVDs for a hobby of mine which played fine in the old country(Windows and PC).However now I see that on the iMAc, they are not supported but do play, sorta, on MPlayerX but it's a mess.No rewind no fast forward so I left it on pause last night so as not to have to start over(it's over 2hrs long)and today ,it's playing erratically.
When opened in MPlayerX, I am given the choice between Audio_TS or Video_TS.On clicking the video folder,there are two folders called Video, one T.S.IFO, the other T.S.BUP.Two say VTS with the same and then there are four folders with the MPlayerX image and these are called VTS VOB numbered 1 to 4.Does anyone recognize this format and can you advise?I thought that the two hours are divided into slots on these latter four but it doesn't work clicking on these either?They are not pirate because I got them from the instructor herself? Any advice or guidance would be very welcome.Thank you

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Any normal DVD will play fine in OSX on DVD Player. I was wondering of yours are really VCD's but you did say there is a Video_TS folder.

Try VLC also. It sounds like the Video_TS is not a normal and complete one with some files missing.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks dtravis7.I checked out VLC and was wondering which version I should download for OSX Lion.There seems to be a few options and I's appreciate some guidance.Thank you again

C

chas_m

Is there some particular reason you're not simply playing them in the built-in DVD player app? If they are genuine DVDs, they will play just fine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is there some particular reason you're not simply playing them in the built-in DVD player app? If they are genuine DVDs, they will play just fine.

Agreed completely. I have a feeling they are either VCD's or some strange DVD made by a non standard application. All proper Video_TS folders and DVD's will play fine in OSX's DVD player.

That was why I suggested VLC as it will often play some strange stuff that nothing else will play.

To the OP, just grab the latest download of VLC and it should work. Does here.

OP
I
Reaction score
They are "how to" art DVDs made in the instructor's home with whatever camera she used and I bought them from her.So they are as genuine as they come in the sense that they are not pirated.How they are made or how they are duplicated I don't know.When I insert them, the black window opens with the Apple logo saying DVD player.Down off to the left are the controls which when clicked on, tell me that the disc is not supported.When I click on the disc symbol itself the folders as detailed above present.I would prefer to use the on board DVD player.When you say "to the OP" dtravis7, can I ask what does that mean? Am a bit lost here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP=Original Poster. You in other words. I posted that part for you. Grab the latest version of VLC and see if the DVD's play.

I never though you were pirating. But there are some DVD's made at home like that with non standard Video_TS and a lot of players will not read them. Also I was thinking they might be VCD's.

Try VLC and report back.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks dtravis7.New to the lingo and this world in general.It's a strange situation because whereas I know where I got them from and could ask the artist how they were made,there is, shall we say, a slight sensitivity there and I would rather explore other angles before asking how she made them.Any from other artists, bought from a distribution company, all play fine but these ones are made in the artist's studio with some form of overhead camera.When I get them, they are just like a blank disc with just the title written on with marker.So, gawd knows.I shall download the VLC.I am just never sure whether it should be 32 or 64 bit !! Thanks again for the help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can understand for sure.

I usually grab the 32-Bit, but if you are running Lion, try the 64-Bit for sure. It works great here in Lion on my 64-Bit iMac.

OP
I
Reaction score
Hi dtravis7,don't know if you are still around.Downloaded 64bit VLC and these DVDs are definitely a bit weird.When I click on the traffic cone, the small controls open and when I click on the play button, it offers me some options which I am not sure about so I leave that and click on DVD disc symbol on desktop.It opens a window with two folders, Audio TS and Video TS. Nothing in Audio, and eight in Video, four that can't be opened and four now with the VLC logo.Each of these are apparently part 1,2,3 and 4 of the DVD and when I play the first one, it is perfect until the end of that particular one and then it seems that I have to manually go to the next one??? Very strange !I am not sure if you are into DVDs/film making or if any of this makes sense?? I can at least play them now and rewind, forward etc which I couldn't do before.I think I might take my life in my hands and ask her.She is in US so will get back and let you know when I know.Oh I checked on get info and they are Unix executable files if that makes any sense??Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, when selecting files inside the video_ts folder, it is going to play them one at a time.

Instead, after you open VLC, on the menu bar at the top - go to the File menu and select Open Disc...

In the pop up window, put a check by the VIDEO_TS folder - then click the browse button and a window will open so you can browse to the disc - you will select that top video_ts folder.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tom is correct like always! :D

If that does not work, they do not have a normal DVD structure.

Let us know what the person who made them says.

OP
I
Reaction score
Yes yes,excellent ! Thank you so much bobtomay and dtravis7.Working at last.I tried another of these DVDs and all is good.Can I ask another couple of questions whilst I am on a roll ! When I sideswipe(?) on the mouse whilst in Safari to move page, sometimes for no reason that I can see, the screen goers straight to dashboard.I suppose this might be a "how long is a piece of string" question but I thought I'd ask.The other is that the flash player logo pops up and stays on the screen sometimes when I am doing certain things but what they are I can't figure out.As I say, I am sure there is no way to tell without more info but I just thought I'd ask.But a sincere thank you to all here because without this forum I think I'd still be looking at the box this machine came in.Kind regards

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very sleepy here but will take one quick stab at the first one. I wonder if you are hitting say the middle mouse button or gesture thereby triggering Dashboard? Done it here many times when I was in a hurry. The 2nd question not sure right now. Will check back in when I wake up! :D

OP
I
Reaction score
No worries dtravis7.It's lunchtime here in good auld Oireland.I think that the dashboard thing is probably as you say, just being in a hurry and also that it is a new mouse routine for me.Of course when it happens it's not the end of the world but am interested to learn.The flash player logo...maybe it's another being in a hurry.Maybe I have caught it unintentionally with the cursor when scrolling through some window.Will keep an eye on it.Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.