Apple grayscale text

Reaction score
I am a recent switcher to Apple. I have a 15" Macbook Pro. I love most of what Mac does even though I have a problem learning some of the new functions etc. I am a senior and am having a problem with my eyesite. One eye already is gone from macular degeneration and I have the beginnings of it in the other. My problem with all of the Apple documentation, instructions, websites, and anything in print is all the text is in grayscale as well as the headers and toolbars etc. The best example of a program I cannot even use because I cannot see it because of the grayscale is ical. The lines and text are so light I cannot read anything. So I have to look for other programs that the text etc is either black or I can change the color or make it larger to view.
I find this throughout Apple product programs and documentation.
Does anyone have any suggestions on making the screen easier to see. I have changed most of the preferences on as many programs as possible but there are so many that cannot be changed from what I can tell.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 13"- Late 2009, 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD running OSX 10.7
Have you tried playing about with the accessibility settings in system preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 in 2.7GHz intel Core i5 16 gb a 4S iPhone 16gb and 2 iPod Touch
I am a recent switcher to Apple. I have a 15" Macbook Pro. I love most of what Mac does even though I have a problem learning some of the new functions etc. I am a senior and am having a problem with my eyesite. One eye already is gone from macular degeneration and I have the beginnings of it in the other. My problem with all of the Apple documentation, instructions, websites, and anything in print is all the text is in grayscale as well as the headers and toolbars etc. The best example of a program I cannot even use because I cannot see it because of the grayscale is ical. The lines and text are so light I cannot read anything. So I have to look for other programs that the text etc is either black or I can change the color or make it larger to view.
I find this throughout Apple product programs and documentation.
Does anyone have any suggestions on making the screen easier to see. I have changed most of the preferences on as many programs as possible but there are so many that cannot be changed from what I can tell.
Thanks

Hey Memtenn60....I too have that same problem...I am very interested in any answers that you receive. I have also fuddled with all the preferences that I can think of. Lets have good luck on this one eh?
:Cool:

BRIAN

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes I agree Brian. I guess most people think it is cool or has some visual appeal. But no consideration for poor eyesight. I must admit with Microsoft/Windows you could change all settings of windows, folders, text, background etc. for the best readability. Lucky I still have a big 23" HP touchscreen Windows Vista for when I really need to see detailed projects or reading.
Let's hope someone can help. I have searched everywhere in preferences but nothing has made a difference yet.
Thanks for the note

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The only thing that might help or not System Preferences > Universal Access > Seeing > White on Black . But would also be interested in making the print darker or black.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
From the same Universal Access menu, try increasing the contrast. Depends a lot on the background lighting but it should help to darken things up for you. Another thing you might consider is an external display. Modern LED lighted displays have several adjustments for contrast, depth, and so forth which can help visually impaired persons to view better.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks,,,, guess my choice is to use my HP 23" touchscreen with Windows Vista when I need to do a lot of document reading... I am disappointed that Apple does not have better customization of text and background etc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Grayscale text

To those that have replied to my post regarding the grayscale text on Apple documents and text. I would like to ask the Mac-Forum administrators if they can change their forum text to black instead of gray. As I mentioned I have lost vision in one eye and am beginning to lose it in the other and the gray text is very difficult to read, and all of the text on the Forum posts are gray.
As I write this post, the text is black and easy to read, but when it is posted it is gray and more difficult to read. I am sure I am not the only person with this problem, as some of us senior citizens are switching to Mac's too.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There's really not much we can do about the gray text as that is driven by the software which is used to display the forums. The Staff has no control over that.

I don't know which browser you're using, but you might try switching to another browser and see if that will help. Chrome (by Google) has viewing enhancements including one that enlarges text. I also notice the text appears darker when I use Chrome versus Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 in 2.7GHz intel Core i5 16 gb a 4S iPhone 16gb and 2 iPod Touch
There's really not much we can do about the gray text as that is driven by the software which is used to display the forums. The Staff has no control over that.

I don't know which browser you're using, but you might try switching to another browser and see if that will help. Chrome (by Google) has viewing enhancements including one that enlarges text. I also notice the text appears darker when I use Chrome versus Safari.

I tried doing that, and still no luck. I, we appreciate the efforts! Just have to squint a little harder that's all...Just kidding...:) It DOES make it harder to read, I hope users appreciate their eyes!...You only have them once, so take care of them!
:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.