• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

My local Apple store was robbed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Glass is a poor first line of defense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
But the thing is, clear glass is whats trendy and hip. It's not about functionality, its all about fashion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My Apple store by the Mall was robbed maybe 2 months back and the same way. All stores that I go to have some glass somewhere.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I haven't seen an Apple Store yet that didn't have a large glass front. It looks great and attracts people to go in and browse around. I suppose Apple could start building them like 10th Avenue Liquor Stores in Manhattan, NYC. That should give them some protection. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
My internet service provider (the largest one in Egypt) had a glass door until the 25th of January revolution when they were robbed. Now they made some sort of a metal wall that keeps the thieves out that has some sort of a huge poster covering the whole wall on it with the signs (TE-Data) and such. It actually looks great and if you go very near the wall, you can see what's inside, although you cannot enter except by using the door (which is also metal and with security guards who pull all-nighters behind it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I never understood why Apple does not use one of those steel roller cages that come down when the store is closed. When the store is open, they comes up and hide above the ceiling, and can't be spotted(unless you are cheap with it).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glass and cameras won't stop a determined thief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
They're insured against theft. It's an inconvenience, and probably going to cause huge headaches for the poor folks that buy the stolen goods and then go to use them... Click to register, and good buy bargain iPad/MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
i have met this situation before. The glass window is easy to break.:D However, they are digital cameras all round, so it is dummy to rob the store.:D

Digital cameras that can penetrate hoods and masks? Unless the thieves are extremely stupid, that's what they'd be wearing.

I do feel however, that Apple is sending out the wrong message to these thieves, basically inviting them to steal since they never do anything about it. I think it might be cheaper to hire a security company to post a man over night vs getting continually robbed. (insurance aside of course)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Apple should use bullet proof glass...

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
i have met this situation before. The glass window is easy to break.:D However, they are digital cameras all round, so it is dummy to rob the store.:D
They were in and out before the local police could even get to the location. This was planned out, not your usual smash and grab

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.