Restore Mac without losing microsoft package?

Reaction score
Lately, I've been getting more than usual spinning circles. Also, my screen will freeze for a split second at times displaying a weird blurred image.

When I noticed this I went to check out the security features and noticed that I had been browsing for months without even having my firewall turned on! I turned it on and also turned on Filevault and deleted my unencrypted files. It really worries me that I had been browsing with no firewall. I assumed it would have been turned on, silly me. I've already repaired disk permissions, but would feel safer running a full system restore.

So, I'm wondering if i use the discs it came with to restore to original, how do I do so without losing a usage of my Microsoft Package? It came with five uses and I've already used four on various family computers. Also, is the fact that I've used filevault to delete my unencrypted homefiles a concern when restoring my mac?

Are there any other general security measures I can take once my mac is restored?
Thank You for your responses

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I assume here you're referring to MS Office for the Mac. You said your MS package came with 5 installs. Office 2008 Home and Student comes with 3 serial numbers, however, each serial number can be used on 2 machines which gives you 6 installs. I can't speak for Office 2004 or earlier as I have never used anything but 2008 and 2011.

Also, since there is no activation for Office 2008 or earlier as there is for 2011, you can uninstall and reinstall as many times as you want. Of course MS expects you to comply with their EULA at all times.

C

chas_m

PS. You're being totally paranoid. I don't blame you -- that's what years of Windows mindset does to people.

Turn the firewall back off. It's off by default for a reason. Turn off Filevault too -- it's off by default for VERY good reason!! There's ZERO reason to feel "unsafe" on a Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
I assume here you're referring to MS Office for the Mac. You said your MS package came with 5 installs. Office 2008 Home and Student comes with 3 serial numbers, however, each serial number can be used on 2 machines which gives you 6 installs. I can't speak for Office 2004 or earlier as I have never used anything but 2008 and 2011.

Also, since there is no activation for Office 2008 or earlier as there is for 2011, you can uninstall and reinstall as many times as you want. Of course MS expects you to comply with their EULA at all times.

I checked and actually it's 2011. Tell you the truth, it's my brother's copy of the MS package, and I'm not sure how many uses he has left, what I posted earlier was my best guess.

I didn't quite understand whether you were trying to say that 2011 is indeed bound by specific "uses" or not? Or whether I could install as many times as I want on the same machine using the 2011 version?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I checked and actually it's 2011. Tell you the truth, it's my brother's copy of the MS package, and I'm not sure how many uses he has left, what I posted earlier was my best guess.

I didn't quite understand whether you were trying to say that 2011 is indeed bound by specific "uses" or not? Or whether I could install as many times as I want on the same machine using the 2011 version?

Sorry if you were confused by my reply. Let me clarify:

There is no version of Office 2011 which allows 5 installs. The maximum number of installs for the Home and Student version is 3 and will cost extra. I know, because that's the version I bought. And, only one SN is included (can be used up to 3 times).

Also, Office 2011 for the Mac must be activated and gets the "genuine Office check" the same as the Windows version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.