Worth getting a MacBook when I have these...?

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm here to get advice. I was thinking if it was worth getting a macbook pro despite owning a pc laptop, iPod and iPad.

My laptop I mostly use for games, and despite 2 years old have no intention of replacing it.

iPod is for music and games on the go.

iPad is used on the go, as my laptop is too heavy to be considered portable. I don't own many game apps, mostly ones for sorting ideas out for characters and video game ideas, a few writing apps for my fan fiction, a couple of drawings apps, some photo editing apps, and some minor categories hardly worth mentioning.

I hope it doesn't sound too silly I'm asking, sometimes I need a voice other than mine to make me realise if it's good or bad idea. Am I just in a phase of hypnotised by apple's shiny mac and OS? Is it a waste of time buying a MacBook pro when I have an iPad?

Thanks for reading! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
If all you want/need a notebook/laptop for is gaming and avg. email and web browsing, then a MBP is overkill. Stick with your current set up if it suits you fine. When you notice a lack of performance or a good reason to replace it, then consider a MBP.
That's my .02¢ anyways. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
If all you want/need a notebook/laptop for is gaming and avg. email and web browsing, then a MBP is overkill. Stick with your current set up if it suits you fine. When you notice a lack of performance or a good reason to replace it, then consider a MBP.
That's my .02¢ anyways. :)

Hrmm what you're asking is a big thing, to switch from pc to mac when my laptop would need replacing.

Here's one problem: MacBooks are so expensive. My current gaming laptop has a 500gb hardrive and 4gb ram. Same as a mbp worth £1,300. The exact price my laptop was 2 years ago. Games are getting bigger in file size. I'd either pay a 2 year old spec again, or pay a silly amount to get 250gb extra space. Not going to happen I'm afraid for gaming.

I know you mean well, but I could never switch from pc to mac for gaming, which is my main use.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Looks like you've answered your own question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hrmm what you're asking is a big thing, to switch from pc to mac when my laptop would need replacing.

Here's one problem: MacBooks are so expensive. My current gaming laptop has a 500gb hardrive and 4gb ram. Same as a mbp worth £1,300. The exact price my laptop was 2 years ago. Games are getting bigger in file size. I'd either pay a 2 year old spec again, or pay a silly amount to get 250gb extra space. Not going to happen I'm afraid for gaming.

I know you mean well, but I could never switch from pc to mac for gaming, which is my main use.

Why ask the question in the thread title then if your not going to go the way of a Mac ?? Im confused.

OP
P
Reaction score
Why ask the question in the thread title then if your not going to go the way of a Mac ?? Im confused.

Because I know people who have a mac and a pc. :Confused:

EDIT: I'm not sure how I could of made it clear I didn't want to switch. I wanted to keep using PCs for gaming, but with my ipad and ipod is it worth getting a macbook too? That's all I wanted to know ^^

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Still don't understand. If a Mac is too expensive when it comes time to replace your existing notebook with another, surely it is too expensive to purchase when you have a computer that is working just fine for you.

A computer is never "worth" getting unless you have a need for one. imho, almost none of us have this "need" for a computer to be sitting in our homes, myself included. They're still a luxury item no matter how many people have one. I know tons of people that do not have a computer at home and get by just fine without them. If you want one, just because you want one and can afford it, then I say go for it. We all like new shiny toys.

OP
P
Reaction score
Still don't understand. If a Mac is too expensive when it comes time to replace your existing notebook with another, surely it is too expensive to purchase when you have a computer that is working just fine for you.

A computer is never "worth" getting unless you have a need for one. imho, almost none of us have this "need" for a computer to be sitting in our homes, myself included. They're still a luxury item no matter how many people have one. I know tons of people that do not have a computer at home and get by just fine without them. If you want one, just because you want one and can afford it, then I say go for it. We all like new shiny toys.

Mmm I belive the primary reason I want one is for the new experiance, to give mac a chance in my life, because its a shiny new toy, to have a dvd player on the go, to also have a computer not used for gaming but for design needs mostly, like game levels.

tbh I can't afford it straight up. I could only use Apple's pay monthly system. Paying over 2 years stinks though. That would feel like a lifetime. I was interested in the 13 inch model, cheaper and more light.

Apologies for wasting people's times if I have.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Mmm I belive the primary reason I want one is for the new experiance, to give mac a chance in my life, because its a shiny new toy, to have a dvd player on the go, to also have a computer not used for gaming but for design needs mostly, like game levels.

tbh I can't afford it straight up. I could only use Apple's pay monthly system. Paying over 2 years stinks though. That would feel like a lifetime. I was interested in the 13 inch model, cheaper and more light.

I would suggest having a MUCH stronger reason for purchasing a MacBook Pro...than:

"...the new experiance, to give mac a chance in my life, because its a shiny new toy, to have a dvd player on the go..."

...ESPECIALLY when you cannot afford to pay for one outright.

What's going to happen 2 months AFTER you buy it...and you decide you don't like it...and you still owe a lot of money on it??

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I would suggest having a MUCH stronger reason for purchasing a MacBook Pro...than:

"...the new experiance, to give mac a chance in my life, because its a shiny new toy, to have a dvd player on the go..."

...ESPECIALLY when you cannot afford to pay for one outright.

What's going to happen 2 months AFTER you buy it...and you decide you don't like it...and you still owe a lot of money on it??

- Nick

True true =l

But I did use an iMac in college though. I didn't mind it and it did have a few plus points over a pc. The only thing that drove me mad was no right click on their mouse, and the different shortcuts irked me. But the different shortcuts would be able something people could get over with.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True true =l

Just trying to "look out" for your financial situation!:)

There's always a BIG chance you could purchase a MacBook Pro...love it...and use it for years.

But making payments on a computer purchase isn't the best thing (especially if you're not 100% sure you will like it). By the time you pay it off...it may only be worth 50%-60% of what you paid for it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Your reasons for not liking the iMac are rather trivial. You CAN right click on a Mac, you just have to enable it in System Preferences, which is easy to do. And many of the shortcuts from Windows are the same on a Mac, except you use the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. Ctrl-C to copy is Command-C on a Mac, Ctrl-V is Command-V, etc.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your reasons for not liking the iMac are rather trivial. You CAN right click on a Mac, you just have to enable it in System Preferences, which is easy to do. And many of the shortcuts from Windows are the same on a Mac, except you use the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. Ctrl-C to copy is Command-C on a Mac, Ctrl-V is Command-V, etc.

LOL I'm such a derp. I forgot it was simply command and c on a mac. :p

Just trying to "look out" for your financial situation!

There's always a BIG chance you could purchase a MacBook Pro...love it...and use it for years.

But making payments on a computer purchase isn't the best thing (especially if you're not 100% sure you will like it). By the time you pay it off...it may only be worth 50%-60% of what you paid for it.

- Nick

Ofc, much appreciated. :) it is a big thing to pay off £47.50 a month for 2 years, even with advance payments. I would rather pay something off asap without the thought of paying back so much a month for that long @-@

I know what you mean. A MacBook (late 2008 model) goes normally for £300 on an auction site I know, which isn't eBay.

This is why I came to this forum. For people prying my eyes away from the glare of apples shiny toys to reality. Unless I can happily pay off the amount within a year I won't bother. Plus my reasons are not truely good enough to justify paying it off for so long.

One can hope they put in a MacBook pro in the clearance section super cheap. But with Apple that's not their style haha.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know what you mean. A MacBook (late 2008 model) goes normally for £300 on an auction site I know, which isn't eBay.

Some people just got to have a new computer...and some folks are ok buying used.

- If you're ok with buying a used computer.
- Since you seem to be new to Macintosh computers in general.
- And since your reasons aren't "the strongest" for buying a Macintosh computer

...you may be a perfect candidate for a lower cost, 2-3 year-old, Macintosh computer. This way you can possibly pay it off all at once, lower your financial risk (lower cost) if you don't like it, and still get to try out the "Mac Experience"!:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Some people just got to have a new computer...and some folks are ok buying used.

- If you're ok with buying a used computer.
- Since you seem to be new to Macintosh computers in general.
- And since your reasons aren't "the strongest" for buying a Macintosh computer

...you may be a perfect candidate for a lower cost, 2-3 year-old, Macintosh computer. This way you can possibly pay it off all at once, lower your financial risk (lower cost) if you don't like it, and still get to try out the "Mac Experience"!:)

- Nick

Ah Nick Nick, you points are very valid ^^

now if only a cheap old macbook would surface. I'm going to keep an eye out this time for the macbooks in that auction...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
now if only a cheap old macbook would surface. I'm going to keep an eye out this time for the macbooks in that auction...

Check e-Bay as well. But sometimes (many times) it's tough to get a real good deal on e-Bay.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Check e-Bay as well. But sometimes (many times) it's tough to get a real good deal on e-Bay.

Good luck,

- Nick

Hrmm okay I'll try Ebay... I don't like trusting so much money though to people I don't know

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hrmm okay I'll try Ebay... I don't like trusting so much money though to people I don't know

Do you have a Paypal account? Paying via Paypal provides you with a much better "safety net" when transactions don't go well.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook® Pro / Intel® Core™ i5 Processor / 13.3" Display / 4GB Memory / 320GB Hard Drive
a certain reseller has some G3 note books for a radically low price if interested thier name rimes with micro center

C

chas_m

Of course, it should be noted that a G3-based notebook in the year 2011 is roughly equivalent to having a piece of paper, a calculator, a mirror, a deck of playing cards, a rubik's cube and a copy of Playboy in terms of modern functionality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.