Need advice

Reaction score
Ok so I am a high school student in Austin Tx, and I am currently a developer for the windows phone 7 platform and have released 2 apps and plan on publishing my current project in the near future. I have also started a club at school called the Mobile Application Development club and,well, we make apps.

I have one problem though personally and with the club, I want to start creating iOS apps for me and the club but that requires a Mac and I only have Dell latitude and my school doesn't own any macs. So my question is what do you all (y'all) think the best approach would be for asking for a sponsor?

In my opinion, I think the best way would be to mail companies in my area asking them to donate $1500 that way I could buy a 13" mbp, a developer account and some books to help transition from c# and silverlight to objective c for the iOS. In return for the donation I would put their logo at the startup in the apps and in-between levels.

If anybody has had experience or has suggestions for this field please feel free for suggestions.

I am really trying to get into Stanford and really need this to set me apart from everybody else.

Thanks for your input

--cray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Well it sounds like you have your head screwed on right and you no where you want to go.
If your looking for sponsors what you suggested could well work in your favour, but in this day and age with the way the world is with its money, you will need something that stands out above and beyond your competitors.
Now remembering there are 400 000 odd Apps in the iTunes store, for a company to take notice and hand over 1500 they need to know there investment will be a secure one, which in turn needs something to stand out.

Honestly i don't like your chances of someone handing over $1500 for you to buy a computer, but there are other options.
Being a Student you get a student discount through  and there is also the Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Laptops, Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.) Refurb Store that gives considerable discounts as well, and you get the same warranty as you would with a new machine.
For what you want to do you could get away with the new MBA which are aimed at the student.
Good luck with it all and hope things work out for you.
Got any links to the Apps you have currently done so we as a community have the chance to see your work:)

Cheers

C

chas_m

Might be easier to approach several businesses for a smaller amount -- say $500 -- or start a Kickstarter project. The club could also try to put together a fundraiser project (like selling Krispy Kreme, oh great now I'm hungry). As for books, the local Mac User Group might be willing to work with you to get the books you need.

Another idea would be to arrange with a local charity or service organization and offer to write them their own custom app if they'll pony up for the stuff you need.

Definitely follow up on TM's suggestion on the discounted dev account and refurb'd (but recent) laptop or desktop. Great to see such interest, I remember programming clubs back in my high school (more BASIC than what you're doing if you catch my drift).

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast responses! Chas_m I really like your idea on creating the app in return for supplies! And I agree that the refurb section is where I should be looking.

I will try topmost some links to my apps very soon here! On iPad now so it's a pain to copy/paste links :)

Thanks again for the advice...

And lol yes I get the BASIC idea of the joke :)

"I C how Sharp(#) you are at making jokes"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.