Importing to NAS and sharing with windows

Reaction score
Please excuse me if this has been covered. I searched and reviewed promising results but did not find an answer.

First, I am one of the many people switching from Windows to Mac. I've had some frustrations and this is one...

All of my photos are stored on a NAS in folders based on the date the photo was taken. When on my windows machine, I simply hooked up the camera and chose the option to import into folders based on date. I can find no option that will automatically sort photos upon import in Image Capture. It appears that I can only import the photos into a single directory and then use a 3rd party app to manage. This seems rather clunky and somewhat of a pain in the butt for something that seems like it should be relatively common. Am I missing something?

I'll also add that my wife still accesses the photos via her windows laptop so one big directory is not acceptable. I'm really hoping somebody says "oh...you just didn't click the right option' or something equally as simple.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Eric

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Please excuse me if this has been covered. I searched and reviewed promising results but did not find an answer.

First, I am one of the many people switching from Windows to Mac. I've had some frustrations and this is one...

All of my photos are stored on a NAS in folders based on the date the photo was taken. When on my windows machine, I simply hooked up the camera and chose the option to import into folders based on date. I can find no option that will automatically sort photos upon import in Image Capture. It appears that I can only import the photos into a single directory and then use a 3rd party app to manage. This seems rather clunky and somewhat of a pain in the butt for something that seems like it should be relatively common. Am I missing something?

I'll also add that my wife still accesses the photos via her windows laptop so one big directory is not acceptable. I'm really hoping somebody says "oh...you just didn't click the right option' or something equally as simple.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Eric
First off let me say that I don't know how to do what I am about to suggest, but have read about and been intrigued by Smart Folders and think they may be your answer.
A smart folder is essentially a folder tied to a script (user definable) that operates upon whatever files are placed in it. Possibly you can set up a Smart Folder to sort by date and export to your NAS. Then you can import to your Smart Folder using Image Capture and the rest should be automatic.

OP
D
Reaction score
The way I understand smart folders is that they are really just a convenient way of setting up symbolic links. If I want all my photos to be available in an organized directory structure to my wife from her windows laptop, I don't think smart folders will work.

Of course, I have never actually used them so I could be wrong.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The way I understand smart folders is that they are really just a convenient way of setting up symbolic links. If I want all my photos to be available in an organized directory structure to my wife from her windows laptop, I don't think smart folders will work.

Of course, I have never actually used them so I could be wrong.

No, I believe you are correct. The problem with trying to be helpful when you really haven't worked with a tool is you make mistakes or mis remember.

This is what I was actually trying to suggest. (I had tagged it mentally with Smart Folders)
Mac 101: Automator

Again, have only read a little about it a while back, but I think it can be set up to do what you want. But, since I haven't tried it myself I could be wrong (again). :Blushing:

EDIT: Also found this which may be worth a look
http://macmost.com/automator-folder-actions.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.